Makita Drill

I've been looking for a cordles drill for some time. In addition to the convenience of cordless for general household maintenance work, I'd also like for it to be able to deal with woodworking chores re: drilling up to 2x wood, screws for the same. Purely non-pro use (i.e. light to periodic moderate use), but I'd like something more than just a lightweight utility drill. Saying that, I'm seeing more and more of "brand name" drill models of the 12V-14V size being offered at extremely good prices. One such (Makita 6280D: 14.4V,

1.3Ahr, about 300-odd ft/lbs torque) has caught my eye in a local sale flyer. Price is nice ($125 Cdn) but I know next to nothing about this particular model/build series. Any user comments? Any comments in general about the minimum I should be looking at? I have no other cordless equipment here. For the most part, PC and Bosch corded tools. But the convenience factor of the drill has finally nudged me along enough to consider purchasing one.

thanks

Reply to
Monroe

I don't think you can go wrong with a Makita cordless. I have had a number of them down through the years and have always been happy. Although I am currently using a DeWalt 18v, I wouldn't hesitate to buy Makita again.

Reply to
Swingman

I've got both 9.6V and 14.4V Makita cordless drills and I like them both, for just the same kind of uses that you describe. My wife likes the 9.6 better because it's a little smaller and lighter, but it's still got enough power and endurance for household use, and I pick it up myself instead of the 14 when I've got something light to do. Both of them have good balance. The 14.4 that I have came with NIMH batteries (black cases), which are significantly better than the Nicad ones (red cases). If the one you're looking at has the NIMH batteries, that'd be a plus, but either way I think you'd like the drill.

Reply to
Tom Dacon

One such (Makita 6280D: 14.4V,

I would be a bit leery of the 1.3 Ahr battery. I would look for something in at least the 2.0 range. Otherwise I have owned 1 Panasonic, 2 DeWalt, and 2 Makita and have liked them all. In particular the Panasonic was very nice. The Makita is a good drill equipped with the 2.6 battery.

Reply to
Leon

I agree with Tom. NiMH batteries are usually nicer except that NiCad might run a little better in very cold weather. I have the 18v Makita and it has been great. I was able to drive a 1 1/4 auger bit through 2x4 studs in 40 degree weather last fall and the battery life was still pretty good. Makita is one of the few manufacturers making NiMH batteries so I usually look there first for my cordless tools.

-Steve

Reply to
Steve W

Better buy quick as many including Makita are switching to Lithium Ion batteries.

Reply to
Leon

Even better.

-Steve

Reply to
Steve W

I bought this package:

use the drill and driver for around the house and some woodworking but not on a daily basis. I thought this was a pretty good deal considering you get both a drill and an impact driver. I did find it cheaper elsewhere. I find the batteries charge up faster than I can use them up (the package comes with 2) so it's perfect for me. I'd love to have the latest and greatest but just couldn't justify the extra expense of the Lithium Ion stuff given my limited use of it. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson