??? making windsor chairs

Hi,
My brother has it in mind to take a class and learn to make Windsor chairs. He is pretty good at making things with wood--doing a lot of bee hives lately if anyone needs any--and has the equipment he'll need. But the class costs about $600 for two days I believe. Jeez! Does that sound like a reasonable thing to do? Anyone want to give him a course for less? :-) What I'm really interested in is: are there any good videos available about it? And/or good books? For some reason he wants to get a book by a particular man Michael Dunbar, but so far the only ones I've been able to find by him cost about $80.
Thanks for any help or suggestions on how best he can learn to do this!
David snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com
You didn't mention whose class he wants to attend. It may very well be worth it. Would you spend $600 for two days with Maloof?
I think Dunbar's book is out of print and in great demand. There was a string recently that indicated they were going for more than $80.
Norm has two programs dedicated to making a Windsor chair. American Woodshop (Scott Phillips) has done two different programs on Windsor chairs.
The Houston Woodcraft store conducts sessions on Windsor chairs from time to time.
You pays yer money and takes yer choice. :-)

Not if I didn't already know who Maloof was. As a tutor for beginning chairmakers, I'm not sure that he would really have much to offer over anyone else.

If you can find a UK book in your locality, try Mike Abbott's books on green woodworking or Windsors.
--
Smert' spamionam

Come on Andy,
I know the Smithsonian is not of importance to our cousins across the ocean, but the man has his work in the Smithsonian. And to us colonists, it is a big deal. :-) Not many of us end up in the museum while we are still breathing.
Maloof ran some courses at highland hardware where one of his mostly completed chairs still resides . I have sat in that very chair many times and am astounded how ergonomically inefficient it is . Sorry design in my opinion....mjh
-- http://members.tripod.com/mikehide2

ocean,

I've never sat in one of his chairs, so I can't comment on its ergonomics. He did come up with a design that is very much copied and imitated today. I respect it for what it is, but I would never copy his style, because it is copied so much.
George Nakashima's (rip) is readily recognizable, but I'm not terrible taken with his chair that is so famous. His "New Chairs" design looks pretty good to me (as does Thomas Moser's chairs).
I'm just a duffer, so I can't really argue with the stars in this group, but just about every one knows who Maloof, Krenov, and Frid are. Most of us recognize the work of Nakashima and also the Green brothers.
Yes, I'd pay to see Maloof.
I'm going to the Brazos Rocker class at Homestead Heritage in June and It's costing me a lot more that the $600 class that started this string. :-)

Sure, and if you're a skilled chairmaker then you're going to be lucky to see maloof in action.
But as a beginner, are you really going to appreciate the distinction?
--
Smert' spamionam

That sounds more like a seminar, which means it might be well worth the money, depending on who's giving it, the info packs provided, and how well it fits with your bro's wallet, background and interests. Seminars are often one of a kind specialties and sometimes offer a deep immersion into a subject that you may not have experience with.
Pop
dh snipped-for-privacy@nomail.com wrote in message
thanks, Mike

If this is not an option, (this school is not far from where we live) you might consider a woodworking class in a College or Junior College in your area. That is what our son did, perhaps the first one will not be up to what you would like but with the cost of most schools, you can buy a dozen chairs. Bee Hives to Windsor chairs? Shees.
Walt Conner

Sounds like $600 may be a bargin.
http://www.danarobes.com/workshops1.htm
RB
dh snipped-for-privacy@nomail.com wrote:

Tell that to the bodgers in the Berkshire woods using pole lathes, thats would have been a years salary. Only in America... mjh
-- http://members.tripod.com/mikehide2

are there any good videos available about it? And/or

I have a brandnew book here: Make a windsorchair with Michael Dunbar I do ladderbackchairs, that's why I never used it. What's a reasonable price?
snipped-for-privacy@xs4all.nl