Making window sash question

I need to make 60+ pair of DH divided light (mostly 8 over 8) double hung sash. Having trouble finding the right wood. Any ideas? The only suitable wood I have been able to find in my area is mahogany (of dubious quality) for $5.00 bd. ft. How about cypress? Thanks. Joe

D grade fir is what I would use. I've used it to replace Anderson awning sash.
Joe Bleau wrote:

Where are you located would have a fair amount of bearing, I'd think.
For that many, should be able to find 9/8 white pine prepared window stock from a millwork shop I'd think...a few years ago it was really hard to come by but I'd think it'd not be so tough these days.

I've used western red cedar. You want a wood that's really stable, hence the red cedar or white pine recommendations.
I made 42 sash for my solarium using red cedar (http:// www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/galleria.html)
Luigi

use it in their boats. It's not as good as white oak. I'm going to make a replacement door for my front entrance and I intend to use qs white oak. It would be good for sash as well.
White pine is easier to work. Have you priced cwp lately?
Lowell Holmes wrote:

Couple years ago, yes. It wasn't much more in quantity than alternatives altho certainly not what it once was. I'd think that would have also improved somewhat, anyway.
White oak doesn't hold paint nearly as well, though, as does the cwp. And, again, depending on the application and area, it's probably/possibly the traditional choice if that has any bearing.
Fir is good but it ain't cheap, neither...at least here and despite being quite a lot closer to western than eastern sources, it's almost unobtainable locally.
.

were in the heavy lumber part of the store.

They do windows across North America - high end restoration stuff.

White cedar? Most old sashes were made from vertical grain old growth pine. Some were made from straight grained douglas fir or hemlock as well. Straight grained spruce ( think Sitka -like aircraft quality - think pricy). Some are also made of redwood or red cedar.
I'd go for number 1 clear pine, myself.