making small hourglass-shaped rollers

I need to make a lot of small hourglass-shaped rollers and I don't have a lathe. The finished roller will be 3/4" long, 3/4" outer diameter, and taper in about 3/32", so a net 9/16" diam at the middle, if I have the math right.

I am thinking of starting with a 3/4" diam dowel and then using a router with a core box bit

1 1/2" diameter. I think that geometry about works, and precision is not critical. I'd run a bunch of profiles and then chop them off at 3/4" lengths.

Does this sound workable and safe? Alternate suggestions? Any tips for how to secure the dowel, start the cut, and rotate the dowel? While I am fine with some shop tools (TS, DP), I am a router newbie.

OTOH, if anyone knows where I can buy such things ready-made in wood or plastic or even rubber (no luck at McMaster-Carr), please let me know. I think such things exist, but I don't even know what they are called.

TIA. -- Jesse

Reply to
Jesse

Do you have a drill press? Might be safer to mount in a drill press and use a file ot 60 grit sand paper to get your profile..

Randy

randyswoodshoop

maybe 1 1/2" diameter. I think that geometry about works, and

I'd probably do what you are thinking. I would...

  1. Cut a "V" notch lengthwise into a board to contain the dowel while allowing it to be rotated.
  2. Drill a hole somewhat larger in diameter then the bit thru the board centered on the "V" groove
  3. Rig some sort of moveable stop on the board.

To use...

  1. Secure board on router table with bit thru hole
  2. Position dowel end stop
  3. Turn on router
  4. Hold dowel at an angle so end is at the stop but doesn't contact bit
  5. Lower dowel to contact bit, hold down with left hand, rotate with right.
  6. Reposition stop and repeat.
Reply to
dadiOH