Making shop rags

Page 2 of 2
On 12/22/2011 8:29 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:

Multitask. Cut'em up while watching TV. Then it doesn't matter how time consuming it is.

We buy them at a local thrift shop for .50 to $1 for a Walmart bag stuffed full. I just nick the edge with a box knife or my tooth and tear off what I need. I have to be a little careful that I don't get a linty edge but they work well for staining, cleaning and anything else.
Ron
"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
I recently acquired a box of cotton Tshirts at pennies on the dollar. Does anyone have any hints on the most efficient way to cut them into shop rages?
Doing them one by each with a pair of scissors is time consuming and a PITA. ******************************************* bandsaws cut cloth about as easy as could be imagined

Clamp a knife into your vise with the blade pointing up. Grab a tee shirt on either side of the blade and pull.
Father Haskell wrote:

Gosh, just put one hand on each side of the seam and pull--we need to stay in shape out there! If someone may be watching, you could always sever a few of the first stitches beforehand. : )

I should be embarrassed to say this, but I pile old t-shirts in a box and take them to my mom to cut up when it gets full. She cuts them the same way every time - sleeves off and split, neck removed and the front and back cut roughly square and nicely folded. I end up with two neat little stacks - one small one of for application, and one large one for wiping off. I should add that I'm fairly particular by nature.... JP
On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 06:42:06 -0800 (PST), JayPique

I hope you bought her a good set of shears to use while doing this for you, Jape.
-- [Television is] the triumph of machine over people. -- Fred Allen
Larry Jaques wrote:

...and an iron! : )