Making shop rags

I recently acquired a box of cotton Tshirts at pennies on the dollar. Does anyone have any hints on the most efficient way to cut them into shop rages?

Doing them one by each with a pair of scissors is time consuming and a PITA.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Rages are best confined to safer parts of the house.

Got any kids?

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Nick it at the edge with the scissors, then tear.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I just take a utility knife to them as needed. No need to make up a bunch of them ahead of time. Unless, of course, you have a super need for shop rags.

It ain't pretty. And the sizes, shapes, etc can vary greatly. But rags are rags.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

You never now what the future may bring. Just put 'em in a sack on the top shelf and cut one up as needed.

Reply to
Swingman

Pinking shears will make the cutting easier. JoeG

Reply to
GROVER

Lee Valley has the tool

Markem

Max

a lot by quilters to cut up all those pieces of fabric for their patterns.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

To to a hobby store or a sewing store and buy an inexpensive rotary cutter.

You can cut 8~12 layers at once and it works like but much better than a pizza cutter. To this over a wood surface and be careful with the razor sharp cutting wheel.

Reply to
Leon

Rotary cutter, common in fabric, quilting, craft stores.

Leon

Be a real he-man. Wet a stack of them, put them in the freezer or leave outdoors depending on where you live. Then cut them on the bandsaur.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Dave Balderstone wrote the following:

Band saw. :-)

Reply to
willshak

Didn't Norm have power rag-cutting machine? It was right next to the Elizabethan Chair machine. (Toss in a stump, out comes a dining set, but you viewers can do it at home with your flint hand axes)

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Multitask. Cut'em up while watching TV. Then it doesn't matter how time consuming it is.

Reply to
Just Wondering

Finally! A real answer!

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

A real man just breaks them over his knee.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

We buy them at a local thrift shop for .50 to $1 for a Walmart bag stuffed full. I just nick the edge with a box knife or my tooth and tear off what I need. I have to be a little careful that I don't get a linty edge but they work well for staining, cleaning and anything else.

Ron

Reply to
RonB

I recently acquired a box of cotton Tshirts at pennies on the dollar. Does anyone have any hints on the most efficient way to cut them into shop rages?

Doing them one by each with a pair of scissors is time consuming and a PITA.

******************************************* bandsaws cut cloth about as easy as could be imagined
Reply to
Morgans

Clamp a knife into your vise with the blade pointing up. Grab a tee shirt on either side of the blade and pull.

Reply to
Father Haskell