Making my own wood filler

I googled and all the DIY recipes say to mix sanding dust with wood glue. I'm thinking of mixing Penofin deck oil with sanding dust. Has anybody tried this? Or linseed oil or anything similar?

The cedar railing on my deck has cracks and checks which I want to fill before giving it the semi-annual oiling. I'm reluctant to use glue as here in Oregon the railing will be WET, not damp, for 6 months per year and I just don't trust wood glue. Even TB3 in those conditions. Epoxy is out as it won't take the oil and will look ugly.

Any words of wisdom appreciated. Art

Reply to
Artemus

giving it the semi-annual oiling. Art

I haven't used a sawdust mix for exterior use, but have for interior use - salvaged hardwood flooring with numerous defects. I mixed the dust with the finish that was used on the floor.

What sealing/finishing oil will you be using? Mix the fine sawdust with that oil.

If need be, sift your shop sawdust to obtain the finest dust possible. Sawdust from the/a sander's collection is sufficient. Course sawdust is not recommended, but I suppose you know this.

Sonny

Reply to
cedarsonny

Addendum: In some places, a second application of filler may be required, as the initial filling may shrink. Pack the filler in, really hard, to make sure as possible of as complete of filling of the cracks as possible, before skimming off the excess.

Sonny

Reply to
cedarsonny

IMO, you are better off leaving the cracks and checks open as water WILL get in but will have a hard time getting out.

As far as making filler, I don't think oil of any type would be a very good binding agent, varnish would work better.

If you just gotta fill, I'd suggest a *good* caulk - one similar in color to the wood - backed up if the checks are deep.

Reply to
dadiOH

Epoxy is out as it won't take the oil and will look ugly. Any words of wisd= om appreciated. Art

  1. Not sure of the wisdom or any succesful way to do this. Wood will keep s= hrinking, cracking, changing and the filler will likely all or mostly fall = out over time.

  1. System Three T-88 structural epoxy dries to an amber color and is very s= andable. Not sure of the actual color of your wood but if it matches even c= lose it may be beautiful.

I had the top of an aging pine hope chest destroyed by the daughter I made = it for after 15 years of nice yellowing. After reassembling the pieces I ha= d some 3/8" wide gaps by several inches long just missing material. I poole= d T-88 sanded it out, dye stained in the surrounding sanded wood and toned = the whole tope with some yellowed lacquer and it looks beauty.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com