Making lumber from cherry tree

My cherry tree has not put out any twigs or leaves for 2 seasons in a row. It is dead. I would like to make some lumber, or, maybe cut it into chunks to make turnings. The trunk is about 18" in diameter and 9 feet tall. I do happened to have acreage and a backhoe. Decades ago I read that you are supposed to bury the trunk for something like 3-4 years. All suggestions appreciated. BTW, tree is in the Northwest. Lots of rain.
Ivan Vegvary

don't bury it.
find a competent sawyer in your area. woodmizer offers a location service- you might call them. 1.800.553.0182
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote in

Or contact one of the turning clubs in your area. Two years dead may be a problem for lumber, but could be OK for turning blanks.
The backhoe will be nice, because the turners may want the root ball...
But don't bury anything.
Patriarch
Where in the Northwest? I am in Eugene, and love cherry. If the tree has been standing dead for two years, it may have started checking beyond the point of being useful. The only way to know for sure is to cut into it. Do use the backhoe to push the tree over, which will pull up the root ball, this is easier than digging it out after you have cut it down. Our local cherry doesn't have as much color as the eastern cherry, being much lighter in color, but it does darken up into a very nice color. A domestic tree usually has more sap wood, and less heart wood because of watering and fertilizers, than a wild tree does. Any cuts should be end sealed immediatly after cutting. robo hippy
If the trunk is good for lumber, do not push it over w/ the backhoe--that kind of tension will ruin much if not most of the trunk wood. Cut it leaving 2' or so above the ground so you can wrap chains around the stump and easily uproot it w/ the backhoe.