Making garage doors...

Hi Mike,
Yeah, I thought about that...but I want the extra height that the arch offers, so we are making them part of the door. Believe me, separating them would make things a LOT easier, simply because we have very low headroom...
Regards,
Austin
Michael Daly wrote:

I had both these issues with my doors.
1) Dragging: Four 3' sectioned bi-fold. I put a caster on the inner doors at the fold.
2) 9' 6" door, 8' lumber. I made a flip up section across the top. Piano hinged it to the header. Two screws hold it closed. Only needed to open it once in 3 ears.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio

I like the design you have drawn. When I looked at the picture with the openings I thought roll-up doors would look wrong, but your design looks quite appropriate.
One thing you might consider would be bi-fold, but I don't know how you would handle the automatic opener.

Yeah, I think the roll-up is going to be easier to seal. I can sort of think of ways to seal a bi-fold (folding out) with top and bottom sealing strips inside, but roll-up would be much easier.
Can't wait to see you post pictures of a finished door.
Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.
Hi Bill,

Yeah, me too ;-)
Now, I need to get that new bandsaw that I've been wanting to get (big grin).
Regards,
Austin
Believe it or not, but one of TOH shows had a bit about doors that looked like they were sliders, but were actually roll up doors. Why not contavt TOH at www.TOH.com or www.askTOH.com and find out the vender they used.
-- Woody
Check out my Web Page at:
http://community-1.webtv.net/WoodworkerJoe/WoodworkerJoesInfo
Where you will find:
******** How My Shop Works ******** 5-21-03
* * * Build a $20 DC Separator Can Lid. 1-14-03 * * * DC Relay Box Building Plans. 1-14-03 * * * The Bad Air Your Breath Everyday.1-14-03 * * * What is a Real Woodworker? 2-8-03 * * * Murphy's Woodworking Definitions. 2-8-03 * * * Murphy's Woodworking Laws. 4-6-03 * * * What is the true meaning of life? 1-14-03 * * * Woodworker Shop Signs. 2-8-03
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:16:55 -0500, "Austin Franklin"

I made my gara^H^H^H^H shop doors, four hinged panels opening vertically (like regular doors) 11 or 12 years ago. So I used regular door hinges (ball bearing, 3 to a panel). The have lasted up to now, no problems, although they are desperately crying out for a new coat of finish.
Construction method was a sandwich of two 1/8 lauan door skins (plywood) and 1-1/2" styrofoam. The edges were 1-1/2" by 1-1/2" western red cedar. Everything glued together with Weldbond (I don't think other "weatherproof" catalyzed PVA glues like Titebond II were available then, at least not in my neck of the woods.) Also put in some cedar blocks where the hardware would need to be (e.g.for door knobs).
To make it look like a frame and panel construction, I glued suitably edge-moulded 1X cedar on the outside of the panel. (3/4 X 3" for the stiles and top and middle rail, 5" for the bottom rail. So the total thickness is 2-1/2 inches.
To prevent air infiltration (very important, I'm in the Yukon), I just glued a 1X4 to the vertical edges on the inside. The 1X4 overlaps the adjacent panel by about 1". Regular weatherstripping on the frame.
The main problems in construction were keeping them flat and ensuring sufficient clamping pressure, especially in the middle. To keep them flat, I made a temporary 2X4 and plywood table and added a few sheets of drywall & plywood on it. For the pressure, I made 4 cauls (slightly longer than the doors) out of the best straight SPF 2X4s I could find. I hand-planed a slight convex curve to them (about 1/4" down at each end), so that when I applied pressure to the clamps at each end, the pressure would be applied in the middle first, and by the time the clamps were reefed down, there was pressure the full length of the door.
Of course, I can't use an automatic garage door opener, but like Charlie is quite rightly fond of saying, cars are made to stay outside.
HTH
Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address
"Man is a tool-using animal. Weak in himself and of small stature, he stands on a basis of some half-square foot, has to straddle out his legs lest the very winds supplant him. Nevertheless, he can use tools, can devise tools: with these the granite mountain melts into light dust before him: seas are his smooth highway, winds and fire his unwearying steeds. Nowhere do you find him without tools. Without tools he is nothing: with tools he is all." Thomas Carlyle
Hi Luigi,

Yes, very much so...thank you. Some great suggestions in there.
Regards,
Austin
I was going to make some doors for an enclosed carport but then moved. Here's a link to instructions for a double door of the kind I was interested in building:
http://www.woodshopdemos.com/gar-dr-1.htm
You might find some good ideas there. These are basically torsion boxes, which make sense for great insulation.
Good luck, H.

Austin Franklin wrote:

I've been following this thread but haven't posted because I didn't have anything to add.
That may still be true after this message... <g>
I wonder... could tambour be scaled up to garage door size?
-- Mark
Check Overhead Door and Wayne-Dalton. I built a couple of garage doors a few years back and bought parts from those folks.
Boden