Making furniture from a grand piano

I have aquired a grand piano that has sentimental value to me. I've looked into getting it restored but the cost far exceeds the value as a piano.
I already own a piano and don't really have room for a grand-piano sized object of interest. I do, however, need a desk.
Has anyone ever seen a project whereby a grand piano is rebuilt as a desk?
This is a small 5-6 foot grand piano made about a hundred years ago. It is made from mahogany and mahogany plywood.
Thanks!

I was a bit curious. Is this one of the New York state pianos by any chance? What were you looking at for restoration cost? Some of these old pianos were magnificent. I think a fully restored one goes for about $6k-$8k. It pains me to hear about putting it out to pasture as a desk.
Bob
This is a North Carolina piano.
The original estimate for restoration was ~4-6k
The restorer called and said I could come pick it up for $150.00 and that he would not recommend any additional work. Cracked sound board. Delaminated pin board. Etc, etc. etc.

Oh, ok.
Bob
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

There's an 18th century spinet for sale locally that was converted into a desk, probably some time between the wars. Interesting piece, but it would be regarded as total barbarism these days.
Re-working veneered timber into other things is hard work because of how to treat the corners. Sometimes it's easiest to steam the veneers off and re-apply them afterwards. If it were oak, then the Craftsman style is an easy way to recycle old veneered plywood because you have solid timbers in the corners, not joins between flat faces.
It should certainly be possible to get a desk out of a decent sized piano. You'd probably get a few small boxes out of the trimmings too.