making exterior full panel doors

How difficult is it to make an exterior door ? Are there basic plans available to follow. Would like to make a pair of solid knotty pine doors in some type of full panel style. Any suggestions or directions on where to find plans would be greatly appreciated

Thanks, TR

Reply to
TimR

With the right tools and ability to use them, making a door is no more difficult than any other wood project.

I'm not sure that knotty pine is a good choice of woods though.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Its not that difficult, if you have a sufficient number of clamps and the space required to mill and layout the doors. Freud makes a very nice entry door set that allows you to mill the integral tenon any length you need.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

The October issue of Woodworkers Journal (on the newstands now) has an article on making paneled passage doors using a router and bits available from Freud. Although not an exterior door, the methods used for cutting and fitting are the same. I don't think knotty pine would be a good choice for material though.

Reply to
Charley

It'd depend on the construction method. If he uses stave core he'd be fine, provided he finishes it appropriately.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

I hope you are not talking about southern yellow pine as a door material. Building the door is trivial with the proper tools,clamps and cutters.

Using the correct materials would be VERY important.

The other question is "why would you want to build a door" over going down to the store and buying one ???

When you buy the correct cutters, even us> How difficult is it to make an exterior door ? Are there basic plans

Reply to
Pat Barber

I think you're in the wrong group if you are questioning why someone would want to build something over just purchasing it.

Reply to
Scott