Making Driftwood?

Has anyone tried "making" driftwood?
I am thinking of submerging fresh tree stumps in tidepools and let the salt water "cure" the wood. How long should I soak it?
clark
10 years should do it.

Then years is about right.
The earlier lighthouses were build with lumber that was submerged ten years in salt-water tide pools.
Today some of these lighthouses are still standing up with the original lumber.
This lumber treatment has long since disappeared and replaced with a quicker treatment using toxic chemical.