making dogs and things for made bench holes

I am gonna make a bench. I need to acquire the accessories before I build a bench to suit. But how can I acquire as much as possible. How can I make the accessories , and can you give any tips on bench construction to go along w/ them, so I can get the most out of it. Particularly, I am interested in how to make a vise/clamp for the front &/or sides for holding things like doors against the legs and all different types of dogs. Any tips, even the obvious, like the apron can't overhang. I'll trust you. Especially how to make the things that you put in the holes. Materials and construction These can get expensive, and there so many types, and you always need eight of each right. Can I make these first out of commmon/cheap materials rather than buy ? I'm thinking I prob need dozens!? What kind of an angle do you put on the holes w/r/t the vise or esch other, if any? And I'm thinking of buying a Mastercraft 7-in. Woodworker Vise . What is the advantage of this over a mechanics swivel vise, which I have already? This will be potted into the bench top somehow/ removable. I'll be thinking of both, and where to put them. I'll get some hardboard for a working cover

So far I think I know that I want to drill 3/4" holes, spaced by just less than, & in line with the length of my max vise opening.

I'd like some: (& therefore how do I make these?)

holdfasts - just force type that wedge down, and look like an upside down L, for direct downward clamping. You could hammeer up & down for grip?

handscrew holdfasts - for manual fine-tuning of direct downward clamping with a threaded whatever

fulcrum type handscrew holdfasts

sideways pushing/pulling threaded handscrew dogs/stops

bench stops, or bench dogs - to push against, either w/ vise or other

heres where I got some ides some ideas:

don't even know how to make the top/legs. I think I'll put adjustable bottom furniture leveller screws into 2x4 or similar and flip up rollers for movability, other than that I'm confused!! I am prob not into threaded rods, but may use 4x 4 for legs in the front.

Reply to
bent

oh yes, underneath is for storage only, like plastic roller shelving. I'm gonna build for max openness. Need no reason to integrate drawers/cabinets under! if I could I'd build it w/o legs! But its gonna be movable. I could make a mounting plate against its fixed drywall resting back wall positon.

Reply to
bent

You might purchase "The Workbench Book" by Scott Landis/Taunton Press. Lots of information to help with your design considerations, from purpose perspectives to accoutrements. Angling your dogholes about 87 degrees can help hold your stock to the benchtop, or you could angle your dogs' faces. Tom

Reply to
tom

angling 87°, are we talking drill the bit at that angle, or a tapered hole? I believe. Would I just pick my approach, and tilt?

the book with its 350 drawings and photos from the library is in my lap. I just don't have time to read it all. Please don't acuse me of anything, just don't.

Reply to
bent

not you,

its just one of those things that ain't popping into the noggin

dowel stock, machine screws, and .... hmmm, that and 50 cents, ya know

Reply to
bent

Angle the bit 3-4 degrees toward the vise. "The" book? It's worth a thorough reading. Tom

Reply to
tom

what do ya call those nuts that are a cylinder shape?

Reply to
bent

aren't they all, especially the ones I've already bought!

Reply to
bent

woops, "toward the vise". - At the top, the hole would be closer than at the bottom. And if I wanted to make a section of benchtop to work against one another( itself), same thing, closer at the tops?

Reply to
bent

I know a lot of people make a big deal out of bench dogs. I found a nice, small maple bench for a good price. The dog holes were 3/8 inches. I wasn't going to put much money into this bench. I will save that for when I have sufficient room and funds.

So I just cut off some 3/8 inch bolts. There were holes in the end vise to match the dog holes in the bench. So four bolts will hold almost anything I need to do. I cut a set of four short bolts and four long bolts.

I forget what I paid for the bolts. But it was much less than what Rob Lee charges for his fine breeds of bench canines.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

IMO, Ken Vaughn is my hero on work bench accessories... check out this page (and I suggest the whole site)

I am gonna make a bench. I need to acquire the accessories before I build

Reply to
mac davis

charlie b