Making Clapboards

Not a regular reader of this newsgroup, but I drop in once in a while...

I picked up some doug fir boards this week and want to use them for siding on a shed I am building. The boards are 1" x 9" - 8'-9' in length. They were previously part of a gymnasium bleacher. They have a bull nose - all around. Of course, I will need to square off the end cuts, but I was wondering about the bull nose on the edge of the clapboard that will show..

I imagine I can hang it just the way it is, but I can also plane down the curved edge, or even run it through the table saw with an angle cut that will be level when the siding is hung. Will this make a big difference in how the siding looks? Not a critical issue, since it is a rustic setting, but I thought I would ask for opinions, or experience.

Each board has six 3/8" holes where they were attached to metal bracing. What is the best way to plug these holes? I saved the panhead bolts and was thinking I could replace them before hanging the siding - countersinking the nut in the back and then cutting the excess bolt off. I don't mind the look of the bolt heads - this is a pretty rustic shed, out in the woods. Eventually, maybe I'll paint the siding.

Any advice is appreciated, Robert

Reply to
Robert Gray

Wilson Lamb