Making an exterior door

I have a customer that will be making a set of high end exterior doors using Ipe'. He made a great looking garage door using Ipe' and this last winter noticed that frost was forming on the inside of the door. I assume that, because of the density of Ipe', the doors were transfering the cold to the inside and causing condensation in the heated space. Now he needs to make entry doors (5 of them)to a pool area that is going to be very high humidity. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to build these doors so that the frosting does not occur? They are frame and panel doors and I originally suggested that he make the front and back sides relatively thin and make a center frame that would hold some type of foam insulation.

thanks....Alex

Reply to
Alex

Construction methods won't alter the thermal conductivity of the wood. It can change the characteristics of the assembly though. Insulation as you suggest (even an air gap) would help. Making a hollow core with panels on the outside would work but the style may be kind of clunky looking. Is he getting frost at the thicker section of wood also? Only sure way to eliminate it entirely is to make a layered assembly.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Alex, I was thinking of doing something similar -- making an entry door. Can you tell me what climate you are in that you saw the frost ? I have seen plenty of wooden doors and never thought there would be an issue.

Cheers

Reply to
Sam the Cat

Reply to
Dave W

I live in Kansas City, Mo. The summers can be brutally humid and the winters can be in the teens below 0.

Alex

Reply to
Alex