Making an end grain chopping board

Hi
I have an offcut of oak that I'd like to make a chopping board out of but I've no idea how to do it!! The piece is 12" x 12" x 2" deep, unused and cut across the grain (it's off a new 12" x 12" lintel). Since it has been cut off it's started to split, which I understood it would do. Anyway, how do I make a block from it. Can I just cut it into, say, 1" square pieces (1" x 1" x 2" deep) and glue and cramp it together? If so, what glue would I need to use and how long would I cramp it for? Also, would I make the whole thing at once or do a section and keep adding to it? I'd be grateful for any help particularly as I have never made anything from wood before. Oh, I tell a lie - I made a thing in school with a marble in it for hanging a tea towel up!! Thanks for any help. I can supply a picture of the piece if that would help.
Jaqy
Oak is no good for what you want . If it's cracking/ splitting now ...just wait till later. You want a TIGHT end grain type wood, like Maple for a butcher block type cutting board.................Sorry, just killed your project ehh? If you do make a cutting board use tight end grain wood and make it at least 4 inches thick then glue it up in sections. Then sand the hell out of it to make it somewhat flat.........then oil it to death................Good luck

how
would
grateful
hanging
piece
As explained, use tight-grain wood such as maple. Cut it into small pieces 3/4" x 3/4" or 1" x 1" but not bigger, each piece about 4-5" or longer, then glue them side-by-side into slabs 3/4" or 1" by the width of the table or block. Make a bunch of those slabs, then glue them face-to-face to form the block. Make sure the wood is dry and well-cured, and that all pieces have similar moisture content so you don't get uneven shrinkage do to drying. Glued joints (using aliphatic resin glue) should be clamped for at least 30 minutes to an hour before releasing. When gluing stacks of pieces side-by-side, clamp the stack between two boards on each side to keep the stack flat (put wax paper, plastic film or some other barrier to keep the boards from gluing to the stack. When it's all together, find a very wide jointer to flatten one side, then plane the other, or use some other method to mill it flat.
Then when it's flat and sanded, oil it to death with food-safe oil that won't go ransid (perhaps mineral oil from the drugstore, though that's outside my area of expertise). The oil will keep water from penetrating the wood and screwing it up. MC_Emily wrote: