Making a working wooden crossbow

What do I need for a good wooden crossbow that I can use for hunting?

Reply to
Shane D. Maudiss

On 29 Nov 2003 00:11:51 -0800, shane_d snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Shane D. Maudiss) brought forth from the murky depths:

Plans, wood, metal, a bowstring, and bolts. Modify to suit. Any other questions?

========================================================== CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks! ==========================================================

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Wood. String. Arrow. Something to kill.

My other suggestion is money and a shopping trip to Oshman's Sporting Goods. Yes, I know...I'm not very useful. ;)

Reply to
David P

I used to have several links to websites on making bows and crossbows, but I lost them to a hard drive failure. The point is that a Google search with the right search terms will get you there.

-JBB

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

About the only part of a modern crossbow that is made of wood is the stock. The bow is usually composite fiberglass, carbon fiber, kevalar or the like. The cocking and firing mechanism are metal. Unless you are a machinist, it would be difficult or impossible to make. If you want to get into archery hunting, you should get a compound bow or a traditional bow. The compound bows are the ones with the pulleys. Traditional bows are similar to the old English longbow. See your local archery shop. In the right hands, both are lethal hunting weapons. With a little knowledge, you can make your own traditional bow.

Bill

Bill

Reply to
Bill Orr

When my kid gets bored with the kiddie compound bow we're getting him for Christmas, I'm going to see about making a stock for it and turning it into a crossbow.

Crossbows are more fun to shoot, and I don't hunt anyway.

Reply to
Silvan

Better check your local game laws. In most states it's illegal to use a crossbow for hunting.

  • George in Maine email address is phony, use gdekel at ctel dot net
Reply to
GeorgeInMaine

Who said its for killing animals? Perhaps its just for self defense !

Reply to
David Binkowski

Hunting in self defense? Now maybe if the intended prey was toting a crossbow too...

Reply to
David P

Sounds like a excellent reason to maintain our right to arm bears oppps I meant to bear arms.

Chef

PS Support the NBRA The National Bear Rifle Assoc.

Reply to
Master Chef Richard Campbell

Why would anybody want to use a crossbow for hunting animals anyway?

Based on the local deer hunters, I think these days you're supposed to use an RPG. :)

Reply to
Silvan

anyway?

supposed to use

#243621

Reply to
solarman

Don't laugh, I actually saw my Dad do something similar.

I was a young pup and our family was on our way to Sunday church dressed in our Sunday best. Of course, living out in the sticks, we had to traverse some fairly backwoods roads. Suddenly, a big buck jumped out in front of my Dad's car, got startled and confused, and tried to run through a barbed wire fence instead of jumping over it. The deer's horns got hung up in the wire and he was stuck. To the families amazement, my Dad slammed on the breaks, reached under the front seat and pulled out a huge hunting knife, threw open the door and proceeded to run across the ditch in his Sunday suit straight for the deer stuck in the fence. Just before he got there, the terrified deer managed to get untangled and took off through the woods. Dad comes walking back to the car with a look of disappointment on his face, puts the knife back under the seat, throws the car in drive and we head down the road to church; you could have heard a pin drop the entire way. Needless to say, I didn't learn much in church that day...my mind was elsewhere. True story.

David P.

Reply to
David P

nice story and great memories BUT i gotta think your dad was real lucky the dear got loose. those hooves and horns can do a LOT OF DAMAGE to the human anatomy! my wife hit one once with the car. we had almost gotten stoppedm before she hit it so it wasnt dead and only minor damage to the car. we were taking a freind home after a day of squirel hunting and had the 22's in the car so we put it out of its missery [or so we thought] and through it in the trunk. it kicked the snot out of the trunk lid but the car was a beater anyway so away we went. within a few hours it was butchered and put away and we had tenderloin and eggs for dinner. skeez

Reply to
skeezics

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 01:13:45 -0500, Silvan brought forth from the murky depths:

Or a Vulcan. All electronically controlled and satellite guided for that real, manly, SPORTSMANlike feel!

Maxi

----------------------------------------------------------- --This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels--

Reply to
Larry Jaques