Making a straight tunnel through hardwood

Hello, All!

I recently found some timber washed up on the beach here a NS Mayp0rt I decided to take the pieces home to see if anything could be done with some such type of driftwood. The stock was 3.5X3.5, which I took to be unusual for modern timber. The crosscuts on the timber were EXTREMELY primitive and rough. I also noticed very fine pinholes by the hundreds in the surface of the wood. The surface was gray and rough sawn. I took it home and decided to shave off 1/16 with the table saw and lo and behold I found hundreds of small compartments made by, what I gathered were some sort of wood-boring barnacle type creatures. The compartments were 3cm in diameter average and beautifully spaced, they were, however enforced with a coral like material and my planer blades suffered pain as they revealed a beautiful red oak, possibly a century old. When crosscut, the mini "habitats" only penetrated the first half inch of the surface. Inside the heart of the wood was a beautifully preserved, undiscolored core. Break--1 love this new2group and have had some gr8 adv1ce come thru. H0wever, we have a little pr0blem, the 0--- guy has added our gr0up to its cRXX psting lst and is here to stay (my grmar and spelling are c0rrect, but if srches for certain words are initiated... please understand) It is best practs to remn wpns tite on this and/or these 1nd1v1duals. ABS0LUTELY D0 N0T ENG~GE these

1ndiv1duals direct1y and abs0l@t1y D0 n0t resp0nd t0 th1r p0sts. Nuf sed, out. Further inspection revealed that these pieces of wood had been shot at with some musketball firing device. The impressions intrude =BC inch of the surface in some cases. Now I want to make a lamp that will stand 2 feet tall. What would be the best method of boring through such long pieces of hardwood? I would like to tunnel through the center of the hardwood without disturbing the shallow pockets that have infiltrated the surface, if you get my drift....w00d. : )

Good Day! B088Y

Reply to
Bobby

Gee, Bobby, do we look for the decoder ring in the cereal box?

What exactly is the point of making your post annoying to read? What exactly do you think that your munging common words does to make searches difficult? And who the hell is searching for words such as correct searches group and grammar?

Are you generally paranoid or just a little shell-shocked from responses to your fluting jig question?

RicodJour

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Lobby Dosser explained:

Reply to
nailshooter41

Hi, R!

Nope. Just tired of the 00ps poster clobbering the group. I wish he and/or she would just go away. And nope again, I had many positive responses to the fluting jig question. I guess 24 years of active duty has toughened me from being easily shocked. I am sorry if my post annoyed you.

Regards, Bobby

Reply to
Bobby

Hi, LD!

I was not sure of the correct nomenclature. Now I know what to look for.

Thanks!

Best of Luck, Bobby

Reply to
Bobby

Awesome! I'm glad you were amused! : ) I hope people in the group will just ignore this guy and hope that he eventually will lose interest. He will not if we keep responding to his messages.

Take care, Bobby

Reply to
Bobby

What, pray tell, does munging up your own posts do to accomplish that?

If you're tired of reading the guy's posts, either (a) ignore them, or (b) learn how to filter them so you won't see them. If you're not willing to do (a) or (b) then I suggest (c): quit complaining.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Advanced filtering functions in your newsreader... Filter on obvious repetitive words and phrases in the subject (or body if your newsreader can do that)...

Done properly, you can killfile just about anything.

Reply to
phorbin