Making a shelf unit

My wife and I currently have two shelf units in our house:
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/6739/shelf1bu8.jpg
These are 25+ years old and I would like to make a 3rd shelf unit that is similar to these. I can find shelves with no problem but I am having a very hard time finding the upright rods anywhere. Here is a closer pic of the rods:
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/3443/shelf2pp9.jpg
They are 14 inches high and about 2 inches wide. I know I'm not going to be able to find the exact uprights because these are so old (and it doesn't matter because this unit will go in another room) but I can't find anything anywhere like these. I've checked the hobby shops around here (Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc) and the hardware stores around here and can't find anything. Are things like this even sold anymore?
Thanks.
I don't know what you will call the company in your area but in mine the company name is COPPS. 30 years ago I built a set just like this for myself and outfitted it with grow lamps for raising African Violets. It is still in use.
P D Q

Does anyone if these still exist? I heard some company named COPPS had them but they appear to be a food chain and not in our area. Anyone in Ohio see these style of DiY shelving anywhere? Thanks!!

"Casper" wrote:

They have got to be at least 40 years old
Have a plastic threaded dowel to assemble pieces together end to end to get whatever length you need.
My mother still had some when I closed up her place in 2007.
She was in Apple Creek area (30 miles west of Canton)
I'd start with Lehman hd'we in Kidron or maybe a Farm & Fleet type store.
Check the hd'we stores that serve the Amish like Lehman above.
Have fun.
Lew

Thanks for showing my age ... LOL. Yeah, they close to that age. I remember my dad making a set for my brother's new home just after he got married and that is over 25 years ago. I have looked in Home Depot, Lowe's, 84 Lumber, and other local stores but have not seen them in years myself. With all the DiY stuff out today, I'm surprised not to see them back in stores. You've given me a few other ideas of where to check, so I'll keep looking. I've thought about turning some myself, but it would take forever to make enough on my mini lathe to do the shelving system I have in mind. Anyway, thanks for the reply! `Casper
"Casper" wrote:

Stick with stores that serve the rural communities.
As a high school kid, worked in a hd'we store in a small town.
That store had inventory that dated back to the stone age.
Can still remember helping people find parts and pieces for old things that were long since out of production.
Since you have a lathe, making your own sould be NBD.
Make a template of existing piece, and you're in business.
For me, getting a color match would be a bigger problem.
Have fun.
BTW, where in Ohio are you?
Lew .

Cincinnati ... an ok city but very different for me. I originate from the east coast, so things are much slower here than I'm used to.
I'm guessing your near Akron? Closest I've been to there is passing thru on rte 80 on my way to Ann Arbor.
Unfortunately the pieces we had are in another state and got broken. Ergo my looking to locate more.
I'll end up at least trying to turn a version. I'll only be able to make 12 in max length, but I think I can get creative with that.
I'll check some of the privately owned Hd'we stores and smaller chain stores. Maybe I can at least find an example to duplicate rather than transferring from sketch.
As an alternative I might even try to make a template to run off on my scroll saw. I could then make them longer. I figure I could cut them like compound creations. Maybe even make two sided figures.
Thanks for the tips, `Casper
Train your mind to test every thought, ideology, train of reasoning, and claim to truth.
"Casper" wrote:

Have some neat restuarants, especially the Montogomery Rib place, but you can keep your chilli.

The days I'm in L/A, but grew up in Wooster.
Directions to Ann Arbor from Ohio courtesy of the late Woody Hayes.
North till you smell it, West till you step in it.

Assemble 12" lengths with dowels and make them as long as needed.

Can you get somebody to measure across the flats of an existing piece?
Once you have the square blank size, the turning should be pretty simple.
Lew
"Casper" wrote:

Does that make you a P&G or a Gillete kind of guy?
Lew

I think I saw something like these in my neighbours place in his garage. I'll take a look tonight and let you know the details tomorrow. How much do you need (total length)?
J.
On Fri, 16 May 2008 16:01:09 -0700 (PDT), Need A Shelf

Fortunately, no!
I smell a troll... <G>

Wow. I come here with a serious question and get accused of being a troll? Great group you have here. I'd like to thank PDQ for actually taking the time to answer my question.
Need A Shelf wrote:

If you have a friend with a lathe, they wouldn't be very hard to duplicate. Barring that, check out your local woodturners club. I'll bet there's a group nearby. Someone there would almost certainly be willing to duplicate them for a fee.
By the way, that's a nice Disney collection you've got, and well showcased. I'll bet that took some years to accumulate.