Making a large chest

After promising the wife to make her a chest to go at the foot of the bed some months ago, I have been looking at plans and mulling over how to make one with the tools at hand. My main question concerns the top of the chest. I suppose everyone makes the top seperately from the bottom, but was wondering about just making a box and cutting the top off as they do in making small boxes. As I think about it, I think this would be unsafe on my smallish DW744, but was wondering if any of you have used a particular procedure involving a circular saw? My reason for considering doing it this way is that I think it would be easier for me to get the top to match the bottom easier. Is this way a ridicoulous idea? Should I try to make the top and bottom seperate? Thanks for your advice.

Reply to
Paul

It is an excellent idea and makes a perfectly fitting top.

A little trick for cutting a top off the box safely with a table saw.

Before you glue up the box, mark where you want to make the cut line on the inside and, using hot melt glue, glue 1/2" thick strips across the cut line, like stitches, three of four on each side.

When you go to cut the top off, make sure that the saw blade is at a height that won't cut through these strips. The strips will hold the top in place while you make the cut on the table saw.

It is a simple matter to then cut through the strips, with a small hand saw. Use hot melt glue as it is easy to remove from the inside of the top and box.

Reply to
Swingman

Thanks for the advice. I may still want to do it with a circular saw as the table on my DW744 is smallish, but will try a dry run before I cut to see how it feels.

Reply to
Paul

Just as a suggestion why not make a slight overhang on the top. Like the one found here perhaps.

Gunter

Woodworker & CH-47D Pilot

snipped-for-privacy@ch47.org

Reply to
47Driver

You're welcome. The method works as well as with a circular saw as it does with a table saw. Keeps the top and bottom from moving apart, and the kerf open.

Reply to
Swingman

Your circular saw should work. Don't cut all the way through. Leave maybe 1/8" and cut that by hand. Some kind of jig or fence attached to the circular saw will keep the blade where it belongs. Sometimes a small saw is good when working on a big project.

Reply to
Phisherman

oh, I thought this was about implants...

My bad.

dave

Paul wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

That one is very nice, much nicer than what I envision myself making. Actually was going for a different style.

Reply to
Paul

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 05:21:45 -0800, "Paul" emerged from the woodpile and uttered:

I've seen this done very successfully using a hand saw to cut the top & bottom apart. If, like me, your handsaw control leaves a little to be desired, then you can clamp a straight batten along the cut line as you go round. Going slowly will at least limit you to small mistakes (which, after a bit of "fettling", will be unnoticeable), as opposed to ripping the top off with a TS/CS, which could result in a big mistake on your nearly-finished chest, especially if your power tool setup isn't big enough for the job. Cheers, Rob.

Cheers, Rob. Remove all capital letters to get real email address

Reply to
Rob Bowman