Making a box joint jig

Morris, you don't need to install anything ~ not unless you want to edit the images in some way (and that includes size). Most modern image viewing programs have the ability to save images in some other format, like png.

If you're using Windows XP, then you already have the means. Open an image using Windows picture and fax viewer, click on the 'save' icon, select 'save as type', pick png and save it wherever you want. A new image is made and the old one isn't changed in any way.
Actually, you should save all initial images in some format other than jpg since they use a 'lossy' format. Every time you save a jpg image, it loses a fraction of its sharpness. Use jpg only if you're sure there won't be any more editing of an image.
snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

I wasn't aware of that, but do keep the originals of both photos and drawings - a Very Good Thing in light of this information!
Now I'm planning to revisit my camera instruction book to see what non-jpeg formats it offers...
Very good to know - thank you.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

You're welcome. Just a little bit more information. jpg is good for saving images since it compresses them to a very small, but still viewable size. That's about its only use. The act of uncompressing a jpg (behind the scenes act) for editing is what slightly damages the image and then you're stuck with that slight segregation when you resave it.
If you compare a jpg to the same png image, you'll see that the png is quite a bit larger. But then, the png can be safely edited without any image loss, not so with the jpg.

Don't know what camera you have, but it likely also offers a raw image saving format which saves all information possible. Files sizes are absolutely huge and not what most people would consider using except maybe for professional photographers and people like that.
On Nov 16, 11:35pm, snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:
"Use jpg only if you're sure there won't be any more editing of an image."
Now, that's an OT I'm happy I read! Thanks
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 21:19:16 -0800 (PST), the infamous Hoosierpopi

The best bet is to save the highest resolution graphic you have in a non-lossy format (tiff, psd, bmp, etc) and then make modified and/or compressed copies for use everywhere else.
-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 08:20:35 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey

Well, maybe to Gnu Yawkuhs...
-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine

Do I resemble that remark? (Original Dutchman, living in/near NYC since 1976)
--
Best regards
Han

You betcha.

I thoght you might be from Hollandaise.
-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 02:29:13 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey

Better. Need more info. Consider 3-D drawings for clarity, eh?
Now reference the friggin' fence or crosscut sled, please. It's supposed to be at the bottom of the pic, right? (Your whole op is done in mid-air as shown.) Maybe some elevation pics would help, too.
Sample piece: 1", 9", or 48' x ? Rereading it, is the sample piece supposed to be the width of the final joint?
You say "Rotate the jig 180 degrees." Oh, so piece 'C' is the entire jig? OK. Maybe show the jig at the top of the page and then describe how it's made and how it's used?
Reference to normal blade crosscut height and stock height is confusing.
Also, WTF is a "lap joint" to you? http://fwd4.me/4WP
Show sample output from this jig on the page, please.
Wait, is the area between the pink kerf/blade and the red kerf/blade supposed to be a half-lap cutout? We're looking down onto the tablesaw top from above, right?
P.S: I'm a guy who, usually, can take one look at a complex exploded drawing and know both what the item does and easily figure out how to build one for myself. Spatial relationships are no problem for me. I can't seem to do that/figure those from any of your drawings, Morris. <sigh>
-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine
scrawled the following:

Dear Larry, I can see your education has been sadly neglected, so I will attempt to explain the concept. A "lap joint" is a venue where men can congregate and experience lap dancing. A lap dance is a type of erotic dance performed in some gentleman's clubs in which the patron is seated, and the dancer is either in immediate contact with the patron, or within a very short distance. Hope this clears up your confusion. : )
diggerop

. . .
Speak for yourself.

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 07:26:27 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy

Robatoy's braggin' _again_? His mama never gave him no toys.
-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 22:45:45 +0800, the infamous "diggerop"

Oh, I'm well aware of those places, Dop. But that wasn't the sort of reference Mo was drawing. (The kerfs were way too narrow for the type of ladies who hang out in lap joints, kwim,V?)

Mo gave pics. Where are -your-reference photos, sir?
-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine
Larry Jaques wrote:

Eh? It's a 2-D problem with a 2-D solution. :-P

There's a lot of stuff in my shop that's "up in the air". Why should this be any different?

Yup (I think you're catching on!)

Right under Figure 5 I wrote: "Block C is your new lap joint jig."
C'mon, Larry, that's like starting a joke with the punch line - but just for you, I'll shoot a picture and put it at the top of the page.

I don't talk good, too. Suggested wording?

I like diggerop's definition. :)

<sigh> Ok - I'll shoot the jig and the output _together_ and put /that/ at the top of the page.

That's the viewpoint for all of the drawings, yes.

I can (sorta) grasp where you're coming from - but with /this/ gizmo there's nothing complex to explode and the only dimension that has any significance at all is the width of the kerf.

Yeah, me too. I've zapped the small drawings of both lap and box joint jigs. My intent was to show how simple they can be, but instead only added to the general confusion. My apologies to all.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

Photo of jig and joint added.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey said:

Would that be with a 12 gauge or a .357? :-o Add a watermelon shot and post it to YouTube.
Don't mind them, I got the idea, but I did have to study it a moment. I discovered long ago that a photo or 3D rendering works wonders when presenting ANY idea to "management." Almost all drawings I do are in 3D with isometric views available. It takes very little additional time these days and helps tremendously during the planning stages as well - especially as complexity increases. (Yeah, I know - it was a quick and simple concept.)
It's just not a 2D world anymore. We're likely dinosaurs from the flat earth era. :)
Greg G.
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 12:51:49 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey

Huh, all I see is some Christian symbol and an upside down, poorly formed L.
-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine
Larry Jaques wrote:

Ok - I finally broke down and bought a little shirt-pocked digital video camera. If I can figure the little bugger out without breaking it, I'll add a video to the web page in spring. <mumble>
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar