Making a box joint jig

Page 2 of 4
Greg G. wrote:

Bingo!
Somewhere between. I originally wanted to make lap joints larger than the KM-1 (I have one on order) can handle, but I was impressed with the simplicity of its principle of operation. When I watched the Bridge City video, my reaction was "Of course! Why haven't I been doing that?".
As discussed previously, I have a wobble dado blade and I'm too cheap to spend for a real stacked dado set - and I picked up on the "kerf width" paradigm.
For both of my simple jigs, I can use the wobble dado to make the cuts shown in Figures 1 and 5 (and Figure 7 and 8 of the box joint jig) to produce satisfyingly precise joints.
(Note that in making the box joint jig, the cut-off from Fig 6 is glued into the slot cut in Fig 7 to ensure exact finger spacing.)
It's not exactly nirvana, but it comes close because it's quick and easy to make, wonderfully thrifty, and awesomely accurate.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey said:

Ooh! I got one right for a change.

Mine was "Why haven't I built that?"

By virtue of it generating it's own references, accuracy is a given. But no dado stack? Morris... Tsk,Tsk... ;-) Just think of what you're missing: flat bottomed grooves with clean edges; no finagling with that wobble width adjustment; respect from your fellow wooddorkers who pried open their wallets and bought a stack of carbide tipped blades and shims in a fancy box. And please tell me it's not a Craftsman from 1962... You surely are a determined individual. ;-)
Greg G.
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 12:16:38 -0500, the infamous Greg

He's also certifiable. The poor, confused lad just used the terms "wobble dado" and "satisfyingly precise joints" in the very same sentence! I guess he's...just not finicky. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hyo1UKYgCs&feature=related

-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine

<BG> I remember Morris. I like this one better...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmsORWnwJX4

And I made a typo in the last sentence, was supposed to be demented, not determined. (ducking)
Greg G.
scrawled the following:

You tube .......... okaaaay .......... it's a cat ......... catfood ........... watching video .......musta missed it ......... watch it again ....... nope ........ WTF did he post that fo......... oh. I see. Got me you mongrel ; )
diggerop
Morris wrote:

Not for me Morris. Not by a long shot. I like your stuff as a rule and value your contributions here and elsewhere. But I could not make heads nor tails (no pun intended) out of those "drawings."
PS: The workbench is coming along. Had some scrap particle board with that plastic finish on one side (salvaged store display) for the first layer of the top. Then a Ping Pong table (old, aged 5' x 9' plywood) came along ($4 Habitat Re-Store) for the second layer - and, soon, another use for that Masonite "find" - a sacrificial top surface. Although, the current ping pong-green top with a white edge is interesting!
Alas, I am still scouting ideas for a fence arrangement that will work for the Miter Saw and the RAS. Like to do something "elegantly functional" with, of course, scrap or salvaged / re-cycled something or another.
Lemme know when you do do the web page you do do so well.
Hoosierpopi wrote:

Ok - there's a (rough draft) web page at
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/LapJointJig /
I can't help feeling that people are looking (insisting?) on a lot more complexity than there really is.
The whole point of the jig is spelled out in the paragraph just above Fig. 7 - but please start at the top and work your way down to that point.
If anyone gets lost, please let me know _where_ the page stopped making sense.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Now it makes sense. It is indeed simplicity itself!
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

I just _knew_ that if I made the pictures bigger it'd be easier to understand! ;-)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I love you Morris!!! (do you see X-faces?)
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

Maybe - I just installed the add-on, now I need to figure out how to turn jpg files into png files.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey said:

With an image editor, of course. If you have a JPG posted online I'll convert it for you and post if need be.
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

Thanks! I have a 48x48 jpg image at
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Misc/Avatar.jpg
(extracted from Morris.jpg in the same directory)
My ancient PaintShop Pro doesn't understand png files :(
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

Oops! Wrong file - make that
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Misc/X-face.jpg
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey said:

Morris,
OK - It was my birthday and I went out for a bit and missed you message. If you still need the pix they are here. As for the outing, Oh, to be twenty-five again. I think they were just being nice. ;-)
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoctor/images/Avatar.png
and
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoctor/images/X-face.png
Cheers!
Greg G.
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 21:50:16 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey

Windows Paint (XP) can talk PNG, GIF, TIFF, JPG, and 4 flavors of BMP. I think the freeware IrfanView can convert for you, too. Good prog. www.irfanview.com
-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine
the freeware IrfanView can Good prog.www.irfanview.com
Thanks for that link. I had a copy once, loved it and lost it. I used it with FAXES to great advantage.
Morris

http://www.irfanview.com /
Steve
Stephen Quinn wrote:

I've installed it and will need to play with it to get me up to speed.
Shrank my avatar to 48x48 and monochrome, now need to tinker a bit to shrink that without making it all grainy. Fun.
Thanks!
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar