Making a bowl/hemisphere shaped depression?

I'd like to make a bowl or hemispere shaped depression in a piece of wood or maybe a piece of metal (aluminum or brass). I have never done this before.
Is a router bit the only way to go or is there a bit for a drill press (like the large hole bits for clock making) that I can get?
I do not do routing very well; so obviously I'd prefer a wood drill bit, but I'd like to know in any case. All replies gratefully acknolwedged.
Can you give me a general price range or point me to some urls/web sites?
Thanks,
Jeff
JeffRT wrote:

Depending on the size of the desired hollow, you can do so with a saw, either radial or table, by turning the blade at an angle to the blade path and taking very shallow (1/16) and repetitive cuts with just the edge of the blade teeth. The size and angle of the blade determine the radius.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

Interesting; never thought of that, but I'm looking for only about a 7/8" - 1" bowl or hollow.
- Jeff
<...snipped...>

In that size range you may be able to grind a cheap spade bit to the profile you need. Remove as much wood as possible first with a forstner (or regular spade bit if the hole left by the pilot section won't matter) This would definitely best be done in a drill press!
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

DAGS for carving burrs. You should be able to get one the size you need, and chuck it in a drill press.
Prometheus wrote:

I have no idea what "DAGS" is or means.

stated:

So, for the fun of it, I did! This is what I learnt:
DAGS Data Architecture and Gateway Services DAGS Demonstrator Application Grant Scheme DAGS Diagnostic and AGreement Statistics DAGS Dynamic Airspace Management System DAGS Diacylglycerols DAGS Directed Acyclic Graphs DAGS Department of Accounting and General Services DAGS DAta Gathering System
, . .
and
. . .
DAGS Do A Google Search
-Don (that was FUN) -- Pooder approved this post . . . .
wrote

And for those who've been to New Zealand: 'dags' (dried faeces on wool about sheep hind-quarters ta, Kerry

(D)o (A) (G)oogle (S)earch- sorry about the acronym, I've seen it enough to figure it was common parlance.
Prometheus wrote:

You are kidding, no?
I don't use google. It's just not very good. Try Ask.com.
Thanks anyway.
I found core box router bits and plain round end router bits without using any search tools.
JeffRT wrote:

Deep or diameter?
--

dadiOH
dadiOH wrote:

7/8-1" in diameter. As a hemisphere, it would be 7/16 - 1/2" deep.
Jeff
JeffRT wrote:

Then IMO your best solution would be to use a router and core box bit; alternatively, grind down a spade bit.
--

dadiOH