Making a 70.6 cut on miter saw

"J. Clarke" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news3.newsguy.com:

Thanks, J. Clarke. I just tried it, and apparently will have to follow the Alt_code instructions to get the hexadecimal entry to work. Notepad would "ding" at me when I hit the plus key, while Wordpad appears to eat the plus and keep going.

My understanding of this Windows feature has deepened quite a bit.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

This is interesting--where you quoted my message, the unicode character for the degree sign got split into an A-circumflex followed by degree, and the Alt-176 gives a-circumflex followed by a grave accent. I guess that's what happens when you feed Unicode to a non-Unicode-aware application, it tries to make two letters out of it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

if you want to freak out the cashier, pop one of the dog treats from the bowl at pets-mart. they pretty good, but kinda dry i've found...

Reply to
chaniarts

Years ago, even before we had grandkids, I would always do a version of this when being dragged to Sam's Club or Walmart by Mrs. Nonny. I would wander over to the dog food aisle and contemplate the "doggy jerky" treats. When someone would wander by, (or if I made a purchase for our own dog) to the cashier, I'd muse: "These are just like real jerky strips and the grandkids don't know the difference."

The look on their faces would run the full gamut of emotions: from polite interest when I'd start speaking, to amazement, to speculation, to comprehension of what I was saying and then to rage/violence/hatred. It is still fun. Sometime, I'll tell you about what a former neighbor does when at a Victoria's Secret.

Reply to
Nonny

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 20:47:17 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy scrawled the following:

You betcha. We have it all, including Festeraddicts and HFreightiots.

-- "Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." -- Clarence Darrow

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 11:11:09 -0700, the infamous "chaniarts" scrawled the following:

I don't do pets so I've never been in a pets-mart.

I loved the scenes with Mel Gibson and the dogs in the "Lethal Weapon" movies. He ate a lot of dog biscuits, too. Um, I'll pass, thanks.

-- "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 11:15:32 -0800, the infamous "Nonny" scrawled the following:

Bwahahahaha! Were you pretending to be heavily chewing at the time?

You'd love that joke about the old guy who was thrown out of ALL Walmarts. He had something like that for every department. I'll see if I can find it to post here, unless someone beats me to it.