Making a 70.6 cut on miter saw

Page 3 of 7

wrote: A few miter gauges have a 1/10 degree vernier, so the precision is available (though perhaps not to 70 degrees, directly). What the accuracy of the gauge is, including miter slot slop, may be another matter.
Come on, people - have you forgotten how to work without using miter gauges that have built-in stops???
Tom

Who said anything about stops?

I'll ask this again,,, can yo actually set your miter gauge to 70.6 degrees?

When you set it at 19.4. It's all in how you look at it <G>
Leon wrote:

Sure. You move it to the position and tigten the screw. Geez.

Come on, Leon. Stop trying to be cute. He sets his miter guage at 19.4 degrees. Jeez.
Tom

And he ends up with a miter at 19.4 degrees. He needs 70.6 degrees. The cut needs to be more towards a rip rather than closer to a cross cut. DOH!

Well, then you didn't look at Swing's SU pic. It *is* closer to a rip than a cross cut.

Another way to explain is this: Your blade is 90 degrees relative to your fence, right? Now subtract 19.4 degrees. Whatcha got now? i know, I know, LOL

Another way to explain is this: Your blade is 90 degrees relative to your fence, right? Now subtract 19.4 degrees. Whatcha got now?
That would work if the miter gauge indicated 90 degrees but mine only goes to 50 degrees so... What are you going to subtract 19.4 degrees from on your miter gauge fence? 0 degrees or 45~ 50 degrees?
The problem here is that the typical miter gauge has no 90 degree setting. What you think is a 90 degree setting is actually a 0 degree setting.
Any setting on the average miter gauge is going to result in a cut that is wrong unless you add a jig or template to hold the work's long edge 90 degrees to the miter fence and then set the gauge to 19.4 degrees.
On 02/19/2010 07:45 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Well ya cornfused me on that one, Bubba. I'm pretty sure the blade is 0 degrees relative to the fence, at least that's the way it appears on MY table saw.
--
"Once upon a time, The END."
To reply, eat the taco.

I think he is talking about the miter gauge fence.
On 02/19/2010 08:27 AM, Leon wrote:

That's not a FENCE. THIS is a fence:
http://www.deltaportercable.com//ProductImages/PC_Graphics/PHOTOS/DELTA/ACCESSORIES/LARGE/78-902_1.jpg
:-)
--
What percentage of the driving populace do you suppose actually
understands the rules of engagement at a four-way stop?

http://www.deltaportercable.com//ProductImages/PC_Graphics/PHOTOS/DELTA/ACCESSORIES/LARGE/78-902_1.jpg
or,, :~)
http://www.incra.com/images/miter_5000_zoom.jpg
On 2/19/10 8:44 AM, Steve Turner wrote:

http://www.deltaportercable.com//ProductImages/PC_Graphics/PHOTOS/DELTA/ACCESSORIES/LARGE/78-902_1.jpg
What an idiot. Do *YOU* see a 70.6 degree setting on that fence?
--

-MIKE-

On 02/19/2010 12:07 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

No, but it's BIG. And it's a FENCE. And it's really awesome, and... what the hell were we talking about again? :-)
--
"Once upon a time, The END."
To reply, eat the taco.
On 2/19/2010 12:42 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

Crocodile Dundee ... how soon we forget! ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
On 02/19/2010 12:55 PM, Swingman wrote:

Rawight! :-)
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

Nawww.. THIS is a FENCE!!!!
http://www.australiantraveller.com/index.php?view=article&id=2685
-MIKE- wrote:

It has a 70.5 degree stop and can be fine tuned from there.
If you gotta have 70.6 actually marked on the gage you need a 1000SE or 1000HD, both of which have 1/10 degree verniers.