Make your own "Y" dust collector Adapter fittings

When I built my dust collection system last year, I decided to make my own fittings because they are so expensive. I bought a sheet metal unfolding CAD program for some bucks, but it was still less than buying premade fittings...
So I made up a bunch of templates for myself and was considering selling them as a package on e-bay for something really reasonable (like $20 for a bunch of different fittings). Think this might fly? Here's a sample of a fitting (this one is 4x4x4) that you guys can try out for a while.
http://www.areddy.net/wood/4x4x4.pdf http://www.areddy.net/wood/Wye_Cover_Page.pdf
Let me know what you think!
Larry Bud wrote:

Oh crap, wrong links
http://www.areddy.net/wood/misc/4x4x4.pdf http://www.areddy.net/wood/misc/Wye_Cover_Page.pdf
Larry Bud wrote:

Getting "page cannot be found". Got another way to get to it?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

In case you didn't see this:
Oh crap, wrong links
http://www.areddy.net/wood/misc/4x4x4.pdf http://www.areddy.net/wood/misc/Wye_Cover_Page.pdf
Larry Bud wrote:

The math isn't working out for me. Instead of $5.99 for a 4" plastic Y from Woodcraft (or wherever), I pay you $20 for plans so I can spend $6 on materials to make one. With that $0.01 difference, I have to make 2000 fittings to break even. I start saving a whopping $0.01 each fitting when I make fitting number 2001.
That's even if I don't factor in trips to the emergency room because of the sheet metal cuts. (:
I'd say more like $2 for a PDF file, or $5 or $7 for a set of paper drawings, is more in line with what I'd pay.
-j
Joe User wrote:

Granted, for plastic it may not make sense, but if you're using metal, it would be cost effective just making 1 or 2 Ys. IF you need special sizes it may make sense as well, such as a 6x6x4.

Yes, I think the odd size is the real value. I have a main duct of 5", but want to Y into it with 4" runs to individual tools. Is this just a butt fit? Is the tape the only mechanical link between the pieces, and how smooth is the joint versus a soldered joint?

It is just a butt fit, but I've had GREAT success with both aluminum tape and some padded aluminum tape. I haven't had any fall apart.
I need to take some photos of my shop so you can see what they look like, and some of the things I've done.

I'll say your math isn't working out! Lose $.01 on each one, but make it up on volume? I think the metal wyes this would replace are more expensive. But also I suspect smoother for better airflow than what I would cobble together with tape.

Is that because you think it is okay to break even after "only" 200 fittings (if your example were modified to make the woodcraft price $6.01)? <g>

I only took a quick look at the pdfs. Didn't see dimentions on them, so I suspect that you scale them to the size you need.
If thats the case, I don't see the value here if you are using 4" PVC. However, I'm looking at using 6" PVC and those fittings are *expensive*. A bit more than $20 apiece for a 6x6x4 wye is the best price I can find. I'm going to consider this.
-- Frank Stutzman
Frank Stutzman wrote:

No, you don't. The scale is not linear if you were to try to scale the 4x4x4 to 6x6x6 for example. The one I posted is for a 4x4x4 Y.

I do have 6x6x4 drawing made up as well. I made all the combos between 4 and 8 inch (skipped 7").
Take a look at the documentation link I posted as well... I probably should expand on the documentation and post of photos of me making one of these.