Make my own Wipe-on Poly?

Does anyone know what wipe-on poly is? I googled and some say that they use

50:50 poly:mineral spirits as a wipe-on poly. Is that all this stuff is or is there more to it?
Reply to
stoutman

that's all

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

That's it....it's that easy.

Good luck Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

If I am not mistaken, you can even dump some watco Danish oil in too.

-Dan V.

Reply to
Dan Valleskey

It works for me whenever I need wiping poly.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

they sell wipe on poly and it works ,drys fast too minwax watco and there are others I mix wipe on poly with danish oil and a natural sealer stain and it looks real nice as soon as my pictures come back from walmart I will post some

Reply to
jeffk

I'd like to see them!

I make my own "wiping poly", simply because it's much cheaper that buying the prethinned stuff.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

That's how I do it and my reason is "I like watco". It gives it a richer finish with the durability of the poly. IHMHO of course. I believe Sam Maloof makes his own blend of oil and poly finish. Haven't tried it yet but I may do it to see how it stands up to mine ;-) SH

Reply to
Slowhand

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:41:37 -0800, "Slowhand" finish with the durability of the poly. IHMHO of course.

Thanks! I'll give it a shot on some test panels.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

What ratio of poly:oil:thinner do you use?

"Slowhand" finish with the durability of the poly. IHMHO of course. I believe Sam

Reply to
stoutman

50-50

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

I missed the oil?

I don't use any oil in wiping poly, but plan on giving it a test to see if I'm missing something.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Varnish thinned = wiping varnish

Varnish thinned + oil = Danish oil

Reply to
Mike G

wrote

I read is some book to use 50:25:25; but haven't tried it.

Reply to
Toller

Are you sure Danish oil contains mineral spirits (thinned)? I thought it was just varnish and oil.

wrote

Reply to
stoutman

Yes I'm sure.

Varnish itself is made up of oil (preferably tung but these days who knows), a thinner/carrier (mineral spirits or maybe some proprietary brew) and resins (used to be things like rosin or amber but now are man made, read that plastic) all cooked up together.

Wiping varnish is just a varnish that has been thinned enough to make it suitable for wiping but still thick enough to build..

Danish oil is a varnish with a very high oil to resin mix that has been thinned (hence the mineral spirits) enough so it soaks into the wood rather then building.

Those are basic make ups, there are probably other odds and ends added that probably vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

That help? Take care.

Reply to
Mike G

Thanks. I need to try a danish oil sometime.

Reply to
stoutman

It's not really a science for me but I start out with 1/3,1/3/,1/3. Then I usually tune it up to the consistancy I want. If it is too runny, add some poly. If too thick, add some mineral spirits. Make up small amounts (the amount you will use). Shelf life isn't very long I suspect because of the poly. SH

Reply to
Slowhand