Make a Mallet (Shopnotes)

"Lew Hodgett"

-------------------------------------------------- wrote:

--------------------------------------------------- It's pretty simple.

To paraphrase a famous country/western song:

You got the money, honey, I got the time,

You got no more money, honey, I got no more time.

There will always be a high end market.

The question remains, "Can you afford it?"

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

-------------------------------------------------------- I use H/F for consumable items.

Gloves, chip brushes, pneumatic quick connect fittings, light weight bar clamps, bottle jacks, some pneumatic hand tools, etc.

Air hoses are strictly a consumable item, with Goodyear rubber hoses being the possible exception. The price has to reflect the fact they are throw away items.

I have yet to find an electric hand tool that can handle the fiberglass dust generated when working glass.

For working in glass, you have Milwaukee and you have Milwaukee.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

And there are places for the cheap crap. My brother works as a high steel welder. One of the companies he works for buys $40 angle grinders for work on site. Why? Because they grow legs and trip into the back of people's trucks.

But I think a lot of people simply have no clue that when a tool is advertised as "just like the pros use" it doesn't mean "professional quality work by people who are proud of their skill and craft", it means "anybody who can convince somebody else to part with some money".

My $0.02...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Check out the math. If we're talking about kinetic energy and conservation of momentum, more will be transferred to the struck object in an elastic collision, where the striking object by definition is free to rebound and there is no permanent deformation of either object. Of course, most of the time in woodworking, we're NOT talking about an elastic collision and it's not what we want either.

Reply to
Larry W