Make a Leather topped replacement handle

I have a fine old socket chisel with a leather topped handle. I can't seem to find any equivalent replacement handels, and I have been unable to find a leather that holds up the way the stuff that's on there has. Any one have any suggestions? How has this thing made?

For that matter, has anyone noticed that any kind of replacement handle for chisels is not being carried by the major woodworking stores? Doesn't anyone try to repair older tools anymore?

Dave Smith

Reply to
David Smith

Sweet Sawdust

If you're interested in braiding your own new handle, here's a book by Tandy Leather that will give you instructions. I own a copy and it's a pretty detailed source for all types of braiding.

Reply to
Upscale

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 22:37:02 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mail.localnet.com (David Smith) brought forth from the murky depths:

I believe they used chrome-tanned leather, the strong, heavy-duty type used for saddles. Check with Churchill Barton at

. He might know. I bought/traded for leather scraps there in '98 and saw the advertising on *b*y last year, so I know they're still selling hides.

  • Blessed are those who can * Humorous T-shirts Online
  • laugh at themselves, for they * Comprehensive Website Dev.
  • shall never cease to be amused *
Larry Jaques

Don't use leather, use rawhide.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

i would look on e bay i see replacement handle for chisel on there all the time.

Reply to
martin