Make a bandsaw template jig

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 07:45:15 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

operation easier. I was surprised how well it works. I thought the blade might have a tendency to move out of the notch and cut the template, but this didn't happen. Worked great.
Oh, one thing I meant to mention was to lower that upper guide during cutting, once you know the final height of the workpiece. (Yu already know it prevents the blade wander.)

but as you mentioned, there are advantages to this method over a router. It can also handle thicker pieces that most pattern bits would not be able to handle.
It's also quite a bit quicker. (Once you have a template.)
-- The problem with borrowing money from China is that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again. --Steve Bridges as Obama
On 1/19/2013 10:26 PM, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

Well thought Brian!
On Sunday, January 20, 2013 10:49:17 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Thanks Leon.
snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote in

Neat!!
--
Best regards
Han
snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

Handy, good idea.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Sat, 19 Jan 2013 20:26:32 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

I like your new intro much better, you two.
Nice little project, too. Kudos, sir.
-- The problem with borrowing money from China is that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again. --Steve Bridges as Obama
On Sunday, January 20, 2013 3:40:44 PM UTC-5, Larry Jaques wrote:

Thank you. I get the feeling people don't appreciate sitting through a long intro each time and skip it anyway. So I chopped it down to about 4 seconds. It's a sorta rip-off of the 'Rough-Cut' intro. Instead of a hand-plane creating the letters I have a router.

On 1/19/2013 11:26 PM, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

Speaking as someone whose expertise matches the size of his bandsaw collection, I have a question or two.
First, doesn't plywood make the business end of the jig a little rougher than optimal for the template to ride on? If the template is masonite or mdf, won't it tend to wear?
Second, I'm wondering why you made the jig so narrow. I find myself thinking that a triangle - lets say equilateral - with two slots in it to attach to the runner underneath, could hold the jig steady without the need for the featherboards. The sides of the jig could conceivably get in the way of a very convex workpiece, but so would the featherboards. Using stout enough material, the jig could even be tee-shaped.
Continuing further down that train of thought, you could make the jig nothing but a small circle with a recess for the blade, but glue that circle to a piece of mdf that would cover the whole table surface. The mdf could have runners underneath to keep it stable. A setup like that could allow even more unencumbered cutting.
By the way: If it wasn't abundantly clear, I have no bandsaws, so calibrate your responses accordingly :)
On 1/21/2013 9:45 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Ugh. Of course, that should read "concave" workpiece.

On 1/21/2013 8:45 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Using the same train of thought above, and Brian's inspiration, I pretty well designed one in my head last night ... either an equilateral or isosceles triangular shaped jig; with two feather board type miter slot mechanisms (as shown in the link below) at the base of said triangle; and a metal insert for the template for the blade/business end of the jig.
I've already got a couple of these laying around from old feather boards ... two of them toward the corners of the base of a triangle and that sucker would have NO movement whatsoever:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopJustStuff#5835920984748838850
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 1/21/2013 9:23 AM, Swingman wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/EWoodShopJustStuff#5835920984748838850
That is exactly what I have and was referring to. If it fits the slot loosely add masking tape to one side, it will stay put and or last a very long time.
On 1/19/2013 11:26 PM, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

Got my viewer going. Ingenious. One problem for me--my Griz only has one miter slot and it is on the out side of the table. To be workable the jig would have to be fastened to the table with bolts. Doable, but not simple. Clamps might work if there were no obstructions on the underside of the table.
--
G.W.Ross

There never was a good war or a bad

Although I have two tables for my band saw, one with a miter slot that would work well, I would have to remove the home made table insert to use them:
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/DrillPressTable1.jpg
Still, I think a jig using either the feather board miter slot idea, or nuts/hardware for the t- slots shown, would also work.
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

On Saturday, January 19, 2013 8:26:32 PM UTC-8, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

I always though that could be done just never tried it. Kudos and thanks. Will use something like it for sure.