Major, major, major Lee Valley gloat.

Page 2 of 3

No need. The Publisher and I will be going together, he's just as thrilled as I am. Oh, so is our chief accountant.
The only sad part of the whole thing is that one of our senior salesmen, name of Jim Rieger, died suddenly just before Christmas.
He would have LOVED having LV store here. In fact, I think I just heard a "you suck" from beyond the grave...
djb

Those clearance shelves are like opening Christmas presents sometimes. Your own store? - you're in trouble now!

Just don't open the door.
Mike

You know that tingly feeling you got in your teens and maybe 20s when you were about to experience somethinat was going to feel REALLY good RIGHT NOW, but had the potential to be a real problem later?
It's like that...

So, as I understand it, the obligatory response has to do with sucking?
How does this enable you to ever get anything done? At least in the US, with catalog only, we can peruse the catalog in the private reading room. Wandering through well stocked stores can take all afternoon. Or longer.
And I can put down the catalog, having looked at a picture of a new plane. Usually. After examining it in hand, I'm not so certain.
Patriarch, who someday is going to have to do some research on this Saskatoon notion...
Patriarch wrote:

I live in Burnaby, British Columbia and have two Lee Valley retail stores within reasonable driving distance. While their stores are bright & attractive, with lots of nice oak trim, there's not all that much to pick up and handle. Most stuff is either behind glass, in display cases, bolted down, or screwed to the wall. And, not surprisingly considering the number of items they stock, not all is out on display, either. There is a nice book section, though, with shelf copies available for perusal and a number of very comfortable arm chairs for said perusing.
Shopping at a retail LV store is a lot like shopping at a dept. store catalogue store. You fill out an order form from catalogues (plastic laminated pages in a steel binder fixed to a bench), take a number and wait for a green-shirted, usually middle-aged, clerk to call for you. S/he takes your order form and disappears into a cavernous warehouse, to return with your goodies. At that point you have your opportunity to have hands-on inspection. Once you're satisfied, the merchandise is bagged and the two of you, on your respective sides of the counter, walk down to the cashier. Your bag is placed in sequence and you cool your heels until the cashier calls out your name. I have not seen any floor staff yet.
--
Cheers,
Rob

Have you ever asked to look at something that is behind glass or in the back room on a shelf? I have several times when I've visited Lee Valley Tool stores in Toronto and I've always been accommodated. Admittedly, the only time I visit one of their stores instead of using the mail order is when I'm buying a large amount of stuff or spending $300 or more. So, they might be granting my request only after seeing the list of stuff I'm buying, but I've never had any argument when I want to physically examine something.
When I go in with my list, I order everything and someone starts bringing the order out piece by piece. That gives me plenty of time to examine every item as it appears and I can decide at that time if I still want it.

I've examined small stuff (couple bucks worth) and turned them down, and there were no complaints, and had any number of questions answered without a list at all. I think the service is there if you need it, whether or not it looks like you're going to pay for it with a large order right then and there.
- Owen -
Upscale wrote:

No, I haven't and I have no doubt they'd accomodate such requests. But you do have to wait your turn for a clerk so I wait until I'm ready to make my order before seeing the actual stuff I'm considering. That I've never yet turned down anything I've written on the order form is both a tribute to LV's quality and my lust for their stuff. :-)
--
Cheers,
Rob

Hi Rob, I guess one has to consider the thievability of all of the stuff they sell. Considering the small size of many of those tools coupled with the cost of some of them, there's no doubt that a sizable amount of it would disappear if not shelved away or windowed off. The rest of LV's customers would end up paying the cost of that loss. Still, the LV store I go to has much of the bigger stuff out on display although all of it's fastened down in some way. I can usually play with it a little to heighten my wishlist addiction while I figure out which old lady I'm going to rob next to get the money to pay for it. :)
wrote in message

Hi -
It's not as much the theiving, as the risk of injury. We have a lot of kids let loose in the store - and not all parents are vigilant.We'd rather lose a sale than have a hurt child...or a hurt big kid - and a lawsuit...
Not mention how many people test edge tools on other tools, or displays.
It's a regrettable necessity......
Cheers -
Rob

I figure the scenario goes like this:
Johnny: "Daddy, I really want that new action toy". Dad: "No Johnny, not right now". Johnny: "But Daddy, I've been a really good boy and all my friends have one".
Dad stops to think for a minute and then goes to Mom.
Dad: "Hi Dear, Johnny has been really good lately just like he promised, so I thought I'd go buy him that new action toy. While I was at it, I thought I'd stop at Lee Valley Tools and get that Leigh dovetail jig they have. I could use it to build you a really great bathroom vanity, you know you always wanted one. Mom: "Forget it Frank. It costs too much." Dad: "But Honey, none of the other dads on the street have one that I can borrow and if I get one, we'd even save money over paying some contractor to build a vanity for us as well and I could build you other stuff too." Mom thinks for a minute, realizes that Frank will be obligated to her big time if she says ok and also realizes that she could go along and buy herself some gardening equipment at the same time.
So, off the family goes to Lee Valley Tools. Johnny owes mom because she was the one that said yes. Dad owes mom because she was the one that said yes. Mom gets some new garden tools.
Does anybody wonder how it came to be that women really control the world?
<snip of an entirely likely scenario>

Well, that's one way it happens...
They also frequently outlive us, outsmart us, and mess with our minds. And we frequently say how happy we are with the situation.
Mine is much better with the checkbook than I am.
Patriarch
wrote in message

In the Ottawa store, all you have to do is ask. Sometimes I have a list, sometimes I don't. I've even said "I'm not going to buy this now, but can I have a look at it anyway" and the answer has always been "Sure, no problem."
Dave O'H oheareATmagmaDOTca

Oh, shut up. You suck. And Saskatoon sux, too. : )
Jason
<snip>

Too weird.... I'd looked up the Jasper Friendly Bear quote to use too!!!
Cheers -
Rob

Have you got your Authentic Indian Name yet?
<http://www.aspalta.cbc.ca/deaddog_asp/aininfo.asp
On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 14:56:52 -0600, the inscrutable Dave Balderstone

Hey, no longer will I be known as "C-less"!
Youse guys may now call me by my Authentic Indian Name: Franklin Lovely Brains.
Whoda thunk it?
---------------------------------------------- Never attempt to traverse a chasm in two leaps http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design ==========================================================

I don't see a "C" in there, C-less...
yrs,
Johnson Stately Beak
On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 13:44:30 -0600, Dave Balderstone

that would be like having a Harbor Freight next door...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

Uh, no. I've got a HF within striking distance, I'd be happy to lose my money at LV instead even if it was twice as far away. That's a hint Robin. Really, Really.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: