Major Goat

Page 1 of 2

Out in the shop today and had occasion to use a drill. Spotted a B&D variable speed, reversible, drill, that I have no idea where it came from. So, gave it a shot. Worked fine.
That's when it struck me, one of my two sons must have left this at one time or another. Ah, say I, I'll paint this sucker and then it'll be mine. At it turned out I didn't have any bright yellow, but did have some buttercup yellow. The paint was in a small glass bottle and the top was sealed on by old paint. Poked a hole in the lid and proceeded. I felt great. My sons are in the habit of "borrowing" s tuff f rom me, usually tools, and that's usually the last I ever see of whatever. So this time I got something from one of them. Major gloat. Very petty to be sure, and even more satisfying for that very reason. Those of you with kids old enough to "borrow" stuff will understand. It's been a great day.
For those of you that don't know, I paint all my tools - yellow - for various reasons, make the shop brighter/cheerier, actually has therapeutic value, and an unexpected bonus - my kids refuse to use my painted tools let alone "borrow" them. Plus it makes them stand out a lot more when you're looking for one. So, I now own a "new" tool, courtesy of one of my sons. And now he won't dare to try to reclaim it, because it's already painted, which automatically proclaims it as one of mine. Ahhhh, life is basically good.
JOAT Teamwork is very important. It gives you someone to blame.
Nice goat, Goat.
Nothing at all about a goat...
Thu, Aug 10, 2006, 5:26pm (EDT-2) dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca (DaveBalderstone) doth wrote: Nothing at all about a goat...
The "l" is silent.
JOAT Teamwork is very important. It gives you someone to blame.
J T wrote:

Like the "p" in "swimming".
Tanus
--
This is not really a sig.

J T wrote:

This sounds suspiciously like a case of "forgodihadit". "Forgodihadit" is frequently experienced by older males who have some amount of discretionary income. The syndrome is manifest when a person "discovers" something he (or occasionally, "she") had purchased but had not laid eyes on for sufficient time to become void of memory concerning the item.
All tongue-in-cheek, of course. Methinks thou suckest mightily. :D
JLarsson
J T wrote:

So I asked, WTF is this thing? It is so big? "It's bread knife, dad... for 4 loafs at once!"
Indeed. It was a four-loaf cleaver.
(I have been drinking)

<throws things at Robatoy>
GROAN

It seems a variation on the old finders, keepers rule.
Or Ferengi salvage rights.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in 3331.bay.webtv.net:

If you thing that your son's borrowing is bad, my son has lost 85% or more of a complete set of sockets and wrenches. I had every possible 12 and 6 point socket in every drive made. I am down to a few 3/8" drive sockets and a partial set of 12 point combination wrenches all made by a variety of manufacturers. No 3/8" ratchets and one 1/2" ratchet. I used to have 3 of each. No extensions at all.
Fri, Aug 11, 2006, 1:31pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@google.com (R.PierceButler) doth lament: If you thing that your son's borrowing is bad, my son has lost 85% or more of a complete set of sockets and wrenches. <snip>
I own a good quality air compressor. I've owned it for years. I think I've seen it for a total of about 3 times. It shows up every once in awhile on the way to a ew location. I shoulda painted it.
Try painting the tools you've got left, and any new tools you get. Worked wonders for mine.
If I ask one about a missing tool(s) the answer is always the same, "I haven't seen it". I tend to hide my tools now.
For those of you who look down at HF tools, because they won't last long, if they're lost bfore they break, price gets a lot more important, and quality a lot less. Actually, I find that HF tools do last, just that their finish isn't as fancy.
JOAT Teamwork is very important. It gives you someone to blame.
J T wrote:

BTW, JT, I bought a book on your recommendation. It's 200 Jigs by Capotosto. You thought it was out of print, and maybe it is in the US, but I picked it up here in Canada. It's everything you said it was and more.
Good call.
Tanus
--
This is not really a sig.

Sat, Aug 12, 2006, 3:56am (EDT+6) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Tanus) doth sayeth: BTW, JT, I bought a book on your recommendation. It's 200 Jigs by Capotosto. You thought it was out of print, and maybe it is in the US, but I picked it up here in Canada. It's everything you said it was and more.
Glad youse like it. Far as I know it is out of print, got my copy used, on-line. New or used, I think it's an excellent book.
JOAT Teamwork is very important. It gives you someone to blame.
is this the book your talking about? (Amazon.com product link shortened)(3155
Al
(Tanus) doth sayeth:

Al wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)(3155
That's it. Hours of fun reading it, and planning. I have to admit I've not tried any yet, but I will. Of course out of 200 jigs, there will be some you won't like or have no use for. But I'd wager than anyone in this hobby will be able to find a few that will be very useful.
Tanus
--
This is not really a sig.

200 Original Shop Aids & Jigs For Woodworkers (Paperback) by Rosario Capotosto
31 used & new available from $2.48
(Amazon.com product link shortened)(3155
-- Mark
SNIP

an unexpected bonus - my kids refuse to use my painted tools let alone "borrow" them. SNIP
J T - If you REALLY want to keep their hands off . . . as well as other 'user/borrowers' . . . paint then bright PINK !!
{Can't really claim credit for this . . . a certain Arizona Sherriff did this with the prisoner's underwear . . . so they wouldn't steal and sell them !!}
Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop
Fri, Aug 11, 2006, 2:31pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (RonMagen) doth put out: If you REALLY want to keep their hands off . . . as well as other 'user/borrowers' . . . paint then bright PINK !! {Can't really claim credit for this . . . a certain Arizona Sherriff did this with the prisoner's underwear . . . so they wouldn't steal and sell them !!}
Uh, thanks Ron, but no thanks. I'm delicate, but not "that" delicate. Yellow works for me, I'd a LOT rather have yellow tools than pink ones. No one else gets access to my tools except my sons and the yellow is enough to deter them.
I don't even want to try to imagine the type of person that would buy used prisoner underwear.
JOAT Teamwork is very important. It gives you someone to blame.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in (RonMagen)

Da-Glo orange works for me. Yellow is too common.
Fri, Aug 11, 2006, 8:21pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@google.com (R.PierceButler) doth sayeth: Da-Glo orange works for me. Yellow is too common.
Day-glo orange would really grate on my nerves. Yellow may be common but at least it's relaxing.
JOAT Teamwork is very important. It gives you someone to blame.