mahogany for cutting board?

So you're now denying this exchange:
"> So please identify the entry in either of those lists which is"toxic "> enough to kill" when used in a cutting board. "Any of them can, depending on your tolerance, susceptibility, general "health.

Since you don't even seem to be able to keep track of what _you_ said that puts me one up.
Further, neither of those lists addresses food contact with a finished product made of the wood in question.
Why are you being such a jerk about this?

NO, I was not the person that posted it was toxic. I'm not denyhing anything, YOU are putting words in my mouth and making the wrong attributions.

Why are you making a fool of yourself? Go back in your newsreader, carefully follow the postings. I was not the one that said anything about toxicity. I merely posted two informative links to pages that address the situation. I made no comment about it. Draw your own conclusions about how they affect you and how the wood is used.
Any sensible person that followed the thread, read who said what, knows who the jerk is. Why do you insist I said something that I didn't say?
Below is a copy of my post as it appeared. Sorry about your problem following it.
****************************************************************************************************************************

http://www.lumberpost.com/ArticleID-105.htm http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/wis30.pdf

So you are denying that <http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/msg/38729504d88cc7cf is your post? And that "any of them can" is _your_ statement?

I've posted the text of your message once and a link to your entire message.
If you "made no comment" then are you saying that someone forged that post in your name?

Because according to the record you did indeed say it.

Any of them can, depending on your tolerance, susceptibility, general health. Aside from that, I did not say they would kill, I just posted FACTS. Use them how you see fit.
*********************************************************************************************************************************
Are you denying that that is your post? If so then whose was it?
Are you asserting that "any of them can" can be interpreted in any manner other than to indicate that any wood on either of those lists can kill due to toxicity when used n a cutting board? If so please be kind enough to explain this alternative interpretation.
Or are you saying that "any of them can" is negated by "I did not say they would kill"? If so then you are contradicting yourself in a single paragraph. Either they can or they can't, so which is it?

If you are so smart, figure it out. It is not mine. Re-read the thread

Any wood, or for that matter, most any substance can kill a few very sensitive people. Rare, but talk to an allergist about it. BUT, I did not say these woods are toxic. I just posted the information. I did not say these woods can kill in a cutting board, nor did the listings. The list says nothing about cutting boards, but does mention dust and direct exposure. As I said, I posted information for others to interpret, with no comments as shown in the re-print of the entire post. You have a difficult time with that, it seems.
Why not just go back, read the entire thread and stop making a fool of yourself. You look silly with egg on your face.

I've re-read it until I'm blue in the face. According to the headers on the message you posted it. According to Google Groups you posted it. If you didn't post it then please explain why your headers are on it.

And you know of an instance in which someone has been killed as a result of food coming into contact with a maple cutting board?

No, you said that any of them could kill when used in a cutting board.

Yes, you did. I'm not going to repost the message _again_.

Since the topic of the thread is wood for a cutting board, and since the question to which you responded asked specifically about cutting boards, and since you stated "any of them can", the content of the _list_ is irrelevant to your response.

So "any of them can" is not a "comment"? Then what is is?

Why not just back down gracefully on your "any of them can"?
You keep saying "reread the thread" and yet you won't even read the copy of your statement and its immediate antecedent that were posted in the message to which you were responding. Pot, kettle.

Prove it.

Because you can't show it. Youre either a liar or just can't find the truth

I did not write the immediate antecedent. Look at the >> markings and see who wrote what. Pot, kettle, idiot. No sense in trying to reason with you as you have no rational. The proof is on the thread. Bye.

Please explain what you would accept as "proof". Most people would accept quoting the entire post and providing a link to the archived copy on Google Groups as sufficient proof.
If you think someone forged your headers on that post, please SAY SO. Your continuing to just deny, deny, deny when it is out there in front of God and everybody makes you look, well, out of touch with reality.

I've posted it three times now. I just don't see any point in posting it a fourth or a fifth or a sixth.

No, you stated your concurrence with it. If you did not agree with the post then why did you say that you did?

Yes, what of it. You concurred with the statement that some of the woods on those lists would kill someone if used in a cutting board.
Your argument is kind of like having one guy say "I just killed somebody" and then the other says "so did I" and then trying to claim that he didn't say that he killed anybody because he did not use the words "I killed".

Yes, it proves I did not state that.

No, it is you looking the fool. Check my post. I already re-quoted it for you once. The portion you attribute to me was not said by me. No headers were forged. I deny nothing. Your inability to properly comprehend the postings is sad, really. The truth is in the acrhives and it is up for anyone reading to make a decision as to who said what. Why would I try to deny something that is recorded for posterity? Sadly, you are so far into this you cannot admit you were wrong. Yes the truth is out there.

Nope, I made NO comment at all. I posted two links. Perhaps you can get somone to interpret it for you. I do want to thank you though, you've been giving me a few laugns these past few hours.

No, you did not, you quoted a different post.

Then who was it said by?

Then you're a damned liar.

Yes, it is, and the truth is not what you claim it to be.

Yes, it is, and the truth is that you stepped on your dick and aren't man enough to admit it.

I am not talking about the post in which you posted two links. I am talking about the subsequent post in which you agreed that any of the woods in the lists that you posted could kill someone when used in a cutting board.

You referenced the other post. Yes I did later say ************* Any of them can, depending on your tolerance, susceptibility, general health. Aside from that, I did not say they would kill, I just posted FACTS. Use them how you see fit. **************
I did not refer to cutting board, but wood in general. If you happen to have some strange allergy yes, it is possible to have a reaction. Billions of people in the world and a very few get sick and die from some rather seemingly benign material.
Read the second sentence. The one where I said ***Aside from that, I did not say they would kill****

You were replying to a question which specifically mentioned the cutting board, not "wood in general". If you meant to address "wood in general" then you should have said so or posted in some other context.

Which does not alter the first.
Sun, Feb 18, 2007, 11:09pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@snet.net (EdwinPawlowski) did posted: http://www.lumberpost.com/ArticleID-105.htm http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/wis30.pdf
Ah Hell, I was willing to either let him think I was lying, or make him look it up himself. But, seeing as you've spoiled that, here's one for him. ONE I said, there's more. http://www.cds.ed.cr/teachers/harmon/page50.html
A few years back I read about a couple in Mexico touring - with a chainsaw - why the story didn't say. Anyway, they found a fresh stump alongside the road, and proceeded to apply their chainsaw to it. They consequently sufferred severe reaction, and were fortunately gotten to a hospital and treated. The story said that if they hadn't gotten treatment they probably would have died. I guess the moral of the this is, work "can" kill you.
JOAT When in doubt, go to sleep. - Mully Small
Sun, Feb 18, 2007, 10:06pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@mtavirgin.net doth puzzedly query: Grown near nuclear power stations? Go on, tell us, what wood is that toxic? We know you are dying to.
No, I understand the trees there move around too much to cut. You obviously weren't paying attention; I said woods, plural, not wood, singular. But who am I to try to interfere with your freedom of choice? I'm not doing your homework for you either, DAGS.
JOAT When in doubt, go to sleep. - Mully Small
How about poison ivy? Around here it gets big enough to make things out of (small things). ( Meet a spoon carver that made spoons out of it, keep them in a glass case and called them "Mother in Law" spoons.) That might do a job on you if you used it in a cutting board.

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 22:17:30 -0600, "sweet sawdust"

Oleander's another possible.

Mahogany, being a somewhat open grained and relatively soft wood might not be the best for something to which a sharp edge and fluids will be applied. Save it for a nice box or turning.
It's really nice to work with hand tools and the Cuban Mahogany version was called The King of Woods.
charlie b

Young lieutenant of my acquaintance asked if I could fix the damaged corner on a coffee table she had. Her dad had made it years ago in Gitmo. You guessed it, top was 22 inches by 2 inch by 36 inch Cuban mahogany. The years had been kind to the color and the finish, but the movers, as always, hadn't. I enjoyed just looking at that wood.

much, but very pretty.

Dang, I really didn't expect a thread like that from a seemingly innocent question. I agree that the mahogany is soft so probably not the best choice for a cutting board. I just happened to have some reasonable chunks laying around, but the board the TV chef was using looked really nice. Probably a prop. Thanks for the replies and entertainment though!

Let see .... what type of wood for cutting board..... SawStop is a safer saw ..... Festool Domino....... Dust collection ... David Marks vs Norm ... and many more usally get the ball rollin