mahogany for cutting board?

I'm watching a cooking show and this guy is using what appears to be a large piece of mahogany for his cutting board. Is mahogany a good choice for cutting boards or not?

Reply to
Vern

It works fine especially if you want to add visual interest by alternating strips of different colored wood.

The first cutting board I made for my Mom when I was in the 8th grade was mahogany and birch.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Favoured timbers for food preparation have closed grain (no unhygenic pores), and not taste or smell. hence often Beech or Maple, but really you can use any wood you like. I use teak and iroko because you can put them in the dishwasher.

Tim w

Reply to
Tim W

Mahogany, being a somewhat open grained and relatively soft wood might not be the best for something to which a sharp edge and fluids will be applied. Save it for a nice box or turning.

It's really nice to work with hand tools and the Cuban Mahogany version was called The King of Woods.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

Young lieutenant of my acquaintance asked if I could fix the damaged corner on a coffee table she had. Her dad had made it years ago in Gitmo. You guessed it, top was 22 inches by 2 inch by 36 inch Cuban mahogany. The years had been kind to the color and the finish, but the movers, as always, hadn't. I enjoyed just looking at that wood.

Reply to
George

Sat, Feb 17, 2007, 10:57pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@mtavirgin.net (Tim=A0W) doth burble: really you can use any wood you like.

Note to self, don't eat at your house. There are some woods out there toxic enough to kill.

JOAT When in doubt, go to sleep.

- Mully Small

Reply to
J T

really you can use any wood you like

Note to self, don't eat at your house. There are some woods out there toxic enough to kill.

Grown near nuclear power stations?

Go on, tell us, what wood is that toxic? We know you are dying to.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

Edwin Pawlowski

Sun, Feb 18, 2007, 10:06pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@mtavirgin.net doth puzzedly query: Grown near nuclear power stations? Go on, tell us, what wood is that toxic? We know you are dying to.

No, I understand the trees there move around too much to cut. You obviously weren't paying attention; I said woods, plural, not wood, singular. But who am I to try to interfere with your freedom of choice? I'm not doing your homework for you either, DAGS.

JOAT When in doubt, go to sleep.

- Mully Small

Reply to
J T

So please identify the entry in either of those lists which is "toxic enough to kill" when used in a cutting board.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Sun, Feb 18, 2007, 11:09pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@snet.net (Edwin=A0Pawlowski) did posted:

Ah Hell, I was willing to either let him think I was lying, or make him look it up himself. But, seeing as you've spoiled that, here's one for him. ONE I said, there's more.
A few years back I read about a couple in Mexico touring - with a chainsaw - why the story didn't say. Anyway, they found a fresh stump alongside the road, and proceeded to apply their chainsaw to it. They consequently sufferred severe reaction, and were fortunately gotten to a hospital and treated. The story said that if they hadn't gotten treatment they probably would have died. I guess the moral of the this is, work "can" kill you.

JOAT When in doubt, go to sleep.

- Mully Small

Reply to
J T

Any of them can, depending on your tolerance, susceptibility, general health. Aside from that, I did not say they would kill, I just posted FACTS. Use them how you see fit.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You posted in response to a request that woods that were toxic enough to KILL be identified.

Well, since you say that any of the woods on those lists are "toxic enough to kill" when used in a cutting board, and since maple is on the list, I guess that we shouldn't make cutting boards at all lest they kill us.

GEEZ, Ed, I thought you were smarter than that.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Dang, I really didn't expect a thread like that from a seemingly innocent question. I agree that the mahogany is soft so probably not the best choice for a cutting board. I just happened to have some reasonable chunks laying around, but the board the TV chef was using looked really nice. Probably a prop. Thanks for the replies and entertainment though!

Reply to
Vern

Sun, Feb 18, 2007, 8:21pm snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (J.=A0Clarke) doth sayeth: Well, since you say that any of the woods on those lists are "toxic enough to kill" when used in a cutting board,

Actually I believe it was me that said "toxic enough to kill". My other posted covered details of one "for instance". But I didn't say anything about in a cutting board.

You could say that using peanut oil on a cutting board is harmless. Until you get the dinner guest that's allergic to peanuts.

JOAT When in doubt, go to sleep.

- Mully Small

Reply to
J T

First, I did not say anything about toxicity. Another poster did, I just posted FACTS about wood toxicity and reaction. If you take the time to look over the list, you will see that only some are toxic. While maple is on the list, if you read it, you will find it is rare to have any sensitivity. Others were extreme. Maple sensitizer respiratory great dust, wood rare

If you bothered reading the footnotes, you would have seen "sensitizer- A substance to which you must first be susceptible, like an allergy. Symptoms may not develop for some time, but once they do, they get much worse with each exposure".

I thought when faced with a list of wood reactions, you'd be smart enough to draw your own conclusions from testing others have done. Evidently not as you can't even keep track of who said what.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
sweet sawdust

So you're now denying this exchange:

"> So please identify the entry in either of those lists which is "toxic "> enough to kill" when used in a cutting board.

"Any of them can, depending on your tolerance, susceptibility, general "health.

Since you don't even seem to be able to keep track of what _you_ said that puts me one up.

Further, neither of those lists addresses food contact with a finished product made of the wood in question.

Why are you being such a jerk about this?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Oleander's another possible.

Reply to
J. Clarke

NO, I was not the person that posted it was toxic. I'm not denyhing anything, YOU are putting words in my mouth and making the wrong attributions.

Why are you making a fool of yourself? Go back in your newsreader, carefully follow the postings. I was not the one that said anything about toxicity. I merely posted two informative links to pages that address the situation. I made no comment about it. Draw your own conclusions about how they affect you and how the wood is used.

Any sensible person that followed the thread, read who said what, knows who the jerk is. Why do you insist I said something that I didn't say?

Below is a copy of my post as it appeared. Sorry about your problem following it.

Edwin Pawlowski