mahogany for cutting board?

Page 1 of 3
I'm watching a cooking show and this guy is using what appears to be a large piece of mahogany for his cutting board. Is mahogany a good choice for cutting boards or not?
Add pictures here
βœ–

large
It works fine especially if you want to add visual interest by alternating strips of different colored wood.
The first cutting board I made for my Mom when I was in the 8th grade was mahogany and birch.
--
Roger Shoaf
βœ–

Favoured timbers for food preparation have closed grain (no unhygenic pores), and not taste or smell. hence often Beech or Maple, but really you can use any wood you like. I use teak and iroko because you can put them in the dishwasher.
Tim w
Add pictures here
βœ–
Sat, Feb 17, 2007, 10:57pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@mtavirgin.net (Tim W) doth burble: <snip> really you can use any wood you like. <snip>
Note to self, don't eat at your house. There are some woods out there toxic enough to kill.
JOAT When in doubt, go to sleep. - Mully Small
Add pictures here
βœ–
really you can use any wood you like
Note to self, don't eat at your house. There are some woods out there toxic enough to kill.
Grown near nuclear power stations?
Go on, tell us, what wood is that toxic? We know you are dying to.
Tim W
Add pictures here
βœ–

http://www.lumberpost.com/ArticleID-105.htm http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/wis30.pdf
Add pictures here
βœ–

So please identify the entry in either of those lists which is "toxic enough to kill" when used in a cutting board.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Any of them can, depending on your tolerance, susceptibility, general health. Aside from that, I did not say they would kill, I just posted FACTS. Use them how you see fit.
Add pictures here
βœ–

You posted in response to a request that woods that were toxic enough to KILL be identified.

Well, since you say that any of the woods on those lists are "toxic enough to kill" when used in a cutting board, and since maple is on the list, I guess that we shouldn't make cutting boards at all lest they kill us.
GEEZ, Ed, I thought you were smarter than that.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Sun, Feb 18, 2007, 8:21pm snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (J. Clarke) doth sayeth: Well, since you say that any of the woods on those lists are "toxic enough to kill" when used in a cutting board, <snip>
Actually I believe it was me that said "toxic enough to kill". My other posted covered details of one "for instance". But I didn't say anything about in a cutting board.
You could say that using peanut oil on a cutting board is harmless. Until you get the dinner guest that's allergic to peanuts.
JOAT When in doubt, go to sleep. - Mully Small
Add pictures here
βœ–
(J. Clarke) doth sayeth: Well, since you say that any of the woods on those lists are "toxic enough to kill" when used in a cutting board, <snip>
Actually I believe it was me that said "toxic enough to kill". My other posted covered details of one "for instance". But I didn't say anything about in a cutting board.
You could say that using peanut oil on a cutting board is harmless. Until you get the dinner guest that's allergic to peanuts.
Who can eat the oil with impunity. The allergy is to the proteins.
You want real danger, worry about bacteria not the foolish stuff.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Why is it the, that people are so panicked about using peanut oil with allergies? Lack of knowledge or real threat?
As for bacteria, it is a real problem in many cases, but wood tends to have less than plastic boards.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Mon, Feb 19, 2007, 11:05am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@home.net (George) did so burbleth: Who can eat the oil with impunity. The allergy is to the proteins. You want real danger, worry about bacteria not the foolish stuff.
Tell ya what Bunky. Go here. http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~aair/nuts.htm Scroll down to "Is peanut oil dangerous?" and read what it says about it.
The dog didn't eat "my" homework.
Note to self. Don't go to this guy's house to eat either.
JOAT When in doubt, go to sleep. - Mully Small
Add pictures here
βœ–
(George) did so

You _did_ read only what you want, didn't you? If the oil is, as you, "crude and unrefined," which would be squashed only, rather than extracted, it's peanut butter.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Mon, Feb 19, 2007, 3:07pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@home.net (George) now claimeth thusly: You _did_ read only what you want, didn't you?   If the oil is, as you, "crude and unrefined," which would be squashed only, rather than extracted, it's peanut butter.
Oh yeah, I not only read it, I understood it too. Here's a partial quote from that link: quote: "Is peanut oil dangerous? Amazingly, people who are allergic to peanuts only rarely have reactions to peanut oil which has been refined." end quote
The operational word there as I see it is "rarely". Which does not mean, or even imply, "impunity" as you phrased it. And, as I recall it, the subject was peanut oil, not peanut butter.
So, are you saying you'd be willing to use peanut oil, of any type, knowing that a person is allergic to peanuts, with the firm conviction no harm would occur? Or would you tell the person before hand, and expect him/her to trust you that no harm would come of it? Let's see a show of hands, from just the eople here allergic to peanust: Would you trust him that no harm would occur? Or would you go somewhere else to eat?
I'll say this. If I was allergic to peanuts, I'd stay away from peanut oil too - period - and I wouldn't care how many people said it wouldn't hurt me.
JOAT When in doubt, go to sleep. - Mully Small
Add pictures here
βœ–
I'll say this. If I was allergic to peanuts, I'd stay away from peanut oil too - period - and I wouldn't care how many people said it wouldn't hurt me.
That's what's required. Those who are known to be sensitive should take the responsibility upon themselves to avoid exposure, not demand that the world pad itself lest they fall and be injured. Carry your epi pen and wear a bracelet, or preferably a necklace, because they'll look at your face in the first part of their survey.
FWIW, in 25 years of answering the beep, I have had two suspected cases of anaphylaxis from nuts. Neither was. First was someone known allergic to seafood who ate chicken fried in oil which had been used for the scallops and clams. Seafood allergies are much more common than nut allergies, BTW.
Second was another teacher who had helped herself from a box of chocolates in the lounge. Turns out she had been cleaning up the nets and collecting gear used the Friday before for the pond unit prior to coming into the lounge. Molds and their toxins are common sources of sensitivity.
Though it currently 404's, the AAAAI conducted experiments which confirmed that oils were safe to consume as long as they were extracted, not the simple pressed "organic" types. Not that you should believe them either.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 09:11:10 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Well, now, your link pretty much confirms what George said--according to that site there is no evidence to support the contention that refined peanut oil is dangerous even to people with peanut allergies and only ten percent had non-severe reactions to the unrefined oil. And that was with a 10ml dose, which is an almighty lot more than anybody is going to pick up off a cutting board.
So it appears that the risk inherent in using peanut oil on a cutting board is in fact vanishingly small.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Mon, Feb 19, 2007, 11:10am snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (J. Clarke) doth mumble: <snip> So it appears that the risk inherent in using peanut oil on a cutting board is in fact vanishingly small.
But does it appear so vanishingly small that you'd be willing to risk it if you were allergic to peanuts? I know I wouldn't.
JOAT When in doubt, go to sleep. - Mully Small
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 15:46:33 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

I wouldn't likely be keeping a container of peanut oil around so I wouldn't use it myself due to lack of peanut oil. But if someone gave me a cutting board oiled with peanut oil I doubt I'd worry about it.
Add pictures here
βœ–
wrote in message

First, I did not say anything about toxicity. Another poster did, I just posted FACTS about wood toxicity and reaction. If you take the time to look over the list, you will see that only some are toxic. While maple is on the list, if you read it, you will find it is rare to have any sensitivity. Others were extreme. Maple sensitizer respiratory great dust, wood rare
If you bothered reading the footnotes, you would have seen "sensitizer- A substance to which you must first be susceptible, like an allergy. Symptoms may not develop for some time, but once they do, they get much worse with each exposure".
I thought when faced with a list of wood reactions, you'd be smart enough to draw your own conclusions from testing others have done. Evidently not as you can't even keep track of who said what.
Add pictures here
βœ–