Mahogany

I bought my wife a caned wood rocking chair. It's mahogany. It's coming knocked down for shipment. What glue works best with mahogany?

Reply to
Lil Abner

Regular "yellow" glue (e.g., Titebond I, II, or III) will work perfectly. I would argue that it's "the best" glue for mahogany in the context of straightforward joinery in furniture.

Reply to
Steve Turner

it will likely come with assembly instructions, and maybe even with the glue you're supposed to use. it may not need any glue but use mechanical fasteners instead.

Reply to
chaniarts

As another said, being shipped as a knockdown may well mean it's mechanically fastened; much is. Then again, if it's a kit it may be intended to be glued.

If it is, as another said, any of the wood glues will work; not only a yellow glue but plain old white wood glue is about as strong.

The only question would be whether one thought there was potential to want to knock it down again in the future; in that case one would choose hide glue as it is reversible.

Just whatever you choose, do not use one of the "gorilla glue" types for this purpose.

--

Reply to
dpb

It's all glued with four screws in the two arms. Once assembled that's it...I hope. What about Gorilla Glue?

Reply to
Lil Abner

Lil Abner wrote: ...

What about it?

It (the original which is what I'm speaking of--I understand they have introduced a wood glue which I don't know about) is a polyurethane glue which has nothing to recommend it for woodworking other than if one needed true waterproof glue for outdoor exposed use. It isn't as strong in tests as "ordinary" PVA glues (Titebond, Elmer's, whoever) although that's not the prime dissatisfaction; that is reserved for the long drying time and the foaming it is susceptible to...

All in all, it's not of much value for general woodworking.

--

Reply to
dpb

I work with mahogany quite a bit and I absolutely agree with Steve. Little- Abner, if I were you I would stay away from any poly-urethane glue, regardless of brand name. The Tite-bond works extremely well and does not tend to degrade with age. I have found that urethane glue do degrade.

Deb

Steve Turner wrote:

Reply to
Dr. Deb

I tried it a couple of times and tossed it as far as I could. Pain in the butt even if it did give strong joints, which it doesn't particularly.

If you need waterproof go with epoxy or resorcinonl-formaldehyde. If you need almost-waterproof go with Weldwood plastic resin or Titebond 3. For general use any of the Titebond family works fine.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Good for butcher-block type lamination, won't dull sharp tools. Holds up quite well to weather. I have a cellar window case I glued in ten years ago with cheaper Elmer's brand urethane glue which still looks new.

Otherwise, type I carpenter's glue is ideal for bonding open grained mahogany.

Reply to
Father Haskell

--------------------------------- It's over priced and under peckered.

Lew