Magswitch Featherboard

just received my new magswitch featherboard (30mm Pro version) I'm still waiting on the vertical featherboard attachment. So far this thing is awesome.

It says in the instructions to leave it in the off position when not in use, not sure why. Does anyone know how this thing works?

Reply to
Garage_Woodworks

"Garage_Woodworks" wrote

I bought the smaller "Ridgid" magswitch model and, although I like the size and flippable 'two direction' design, I am less than impressed with the magnetic holding power, especially on a TopCote slick surface. (I think Rockler sells this one as the "Universal" model, as they appear to be identical enough to be made in the same Chinese factory).

I tested the 30mm Pro model you have at Rockler and it seemed to be a good deal stronger, but it also seemed a bit too big to use on a jointer when jointing a 90 degree edge, something I find handy on longer stock. Will your model fit on a 6" jointer, and does a surface slicked up with the likes of TopCote impact the stronger magnets holding power like it does the Ridgid's?

(yeah, I know ... probably another lesson in 'you get what you pay for' ....)

Reply to
Swingman

No. Even edge jointing a 3/4" board puts the magnets to far over the edge of the jointer (6" jointer). I bought it primarily for the TS. After my last (first) kick back to the gut a few months ago, I am still trying to increase my safety factor a few notches. Looks like money well spent so far.

I'm not sure how it will perform on a freshly applied top-coat surface, but I am willing to bet that it will hold stuff against the fence as intended. I was also very attracted to this device for the vertical attachment. I ordered it, but it is over-sold. Still waiting...

When you're lucky!

Reply to
Garage_Woodworks

Might be in acse you store it in ON position and when you go to put it on your table, the powerful magnets snap it n place... you could have your finger ot something under it which could hurt ;( Im guessing thats the reason why. I store mine on the side of my table saw cabinet in ON position so they hold. Not had any problem with doing this...

Here's my magswitch review >

HappyGilmore

I have the "standard" Magswitch featherboard, I paid $45 IIRC. I have only used it on my tablesaw, non-Top-Coted surface, though occasional Johnson's paste wax, and no problem with moving at all while in use. I'm very happy with it. I was going to buy the Ridgid model which looks pretty much the saw 'cept for being orange instead of black but when I went to the local orange BORG they had sold the one they had. I checked back a few times and didn't see any in stock so I ordered one online. Later they showed up in a different location at the same BORG. I've thought about picking up a second one for use on the jointer or bandsaw 'cause I'm lazy and don't want to walk the ten feet to the tablesaw. When not in use I leave it "on" and adhered to the side of my tablesaw so it's easy to find and use. I too have recently taken a kickback to the gut and don't care to experience it again anytime soon, or ever.

Dale

Reply to
dale martin

I have both, side and top version. It works by having two magnets in each feather board. They work in tandem (to hold in place) or one is rotated so that the two magnetic fields cancel each other out, thus releasing it.

Reply to
Upscale

That's kind of what I was thinking, but wasn't sure. Thanks.

reading it). Nice review!

Reply to
Garage_Woodworks

Ahh! Neat. Thanks.

Reply to
Garage_Woodworks

One more question: If I leave it in the off position with the fields opposing each other, will that cause the magnets to depolarize over time?

Reply to
Garage_Woodworks

It should not. Supposedly a "good" magnet will always retain its properties.

Reply to
Leon

Can't answer that. In the 9 months I've had mine, the power of the magnets appears to remain the same as when new. But, I leave my featherboards on the tablesaw with the magnets in the "on" position. Prevents them from hiding somewhere when I'm not looking. When they're not on top of the tablesaw, they're clamped to one of the metal sides of the tablesaw.

Reply to
Upscale

"Garage_Woodworks" wrote in news:481a77be$0$12967$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

On sale this month at Woodcraft too....

** Posted from
**
Reply to
jbd in Denver

I was patient and picked up two of the Rigid brand off of eBay for $23 each. Took me about 2 weeks of waiting using an automated search to find them.

dale mart> I have the "standard" Magswitch featherboard, I paid $45 IIRC.

Reply to
mapdude