Magnets from old PCs?

Page 2 of 2

Others have mentioned some of the cautions of using these. Here's another, keep them well away from any magnetic storage media (floppies, zip drives) and well away from computer monitors. Strange, unbeneficial things can happen if you don't.

I've killed a few HD's, and used the magents to keep things like the chuck key on my drill press. They're a funny shape and there's usually another chunk of metal attached to them, so I haven't found a use for embedding them in a project like you might for the nice round ones from Lee Valley.
As others have mentioned, they are powerful, so it's not a good idea to let the kids play with them (at least not ones the age of my kids).
--
Clint
"Jay Pique" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I take advantage of the funny shape for holding tools... and the metal backings on the HD's that I took apart had 2 handy mounting holes on them..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
The magnets you're referring to are called "neodymium magnets" ... or "rare earth magnets". Neodymium is a 'rare earth' element. The term 'rare earth' was used many years ago when such metals were in fact rare.
Neodymium is, as one reader noted, very fragile. If you break the magnets, you'll get sharp splinters. Be careful.
Personally, I would say just buy them! They're fairly inexpensive and you can more easily find the exact size and shape you're looking for.
Jack
Jay Pique wrote:

Yes, but then I'm a packrat. And don't overlook old microwave ovens, there's a couple of great doughnut-shaped magnets in each magnetron.
Be careful of the high voltage cap tho, short it out with a screwdriver, I have never found one live yet (they have a built-in bleeder resistor) but Murphy may live in your street.
Barry Lennox