I've had a G1023SL tablesaw for about a year and have liked it a great deal.
I discovered recently that when I hit the stop button on the TS, there was a
delay before shutting off. Got the air out and blew it out well. Same
thing happened so called Griz - they advised to do the same thing but to
give it a good shot. Problem getting worse. Last night, I hit the button
and nothing - I had to go to the breaker box to shut the power down.
Knowing it was magnetic, I decided to test it so I turned the power back on
from the box and it took off. Shut it down again and after about 30
seconds, I heard the relay kick out.
Called Griz and they were very good about it - they are sending a new switch
(which is normally $62) and won't charge my card providing I send the old
one back within 30 days. Very reasonable - but if this happens again, I
need to figure out how to bypass the magnetic portion of the switch and just
wire it as a direct switch. Anyone else have a switch problem on the G1023
Both replies are encouraging - hopefully, there is some difference in the
switches that they are aware of and will get me the one that holds up. I
had to have the motor replaced almost immediately on a G0555 bandsaw and if
Griz wasn't so easy to work with, I might have considered something else. I
sure have been happy with the performance - and have now outfitted two
different shops in green.
It's a shortcut I'd prefer not to do for the restart issue...how large a
Just out of curiousity, are the switches Grizzly's using branded? If
so, whose are they using? If it were to happen again, my first
preference would be to see if I could figure out why specifically and
fix that or failing in that replace it w/ a different magnet
starter...small sizes are not terribly expensive from Dayton or
I don't see any specific brand or writing on the outside or inside of the
box, but the saw draws 18 amps at 220v. I have a 20 amp plug and breaker.
It must just be a relay and am wondering if weather is a factor. I'm in
Iowa and the shop gets quite cold but I don't run it below freezing.
I would advise that if it does it a gain that you buy a another brand
magnetic switch. I like the fact that if there is a power failure or
interruption that you have to turn the saw back on rather than having to
remember to turn the switch off when the power is lost.
I don't have said saw. I am planning on ordering it before year's end
Of all the reviews I've read, it appears there are generally 3 things that
tend to upset
people with these saws/Grizzly. 1) Shipping container is a POS and many
reported scratches and dents in their units. 2) Motor dies after a short
time and 3) the
magnetic switches seem to fail often. These complaints are in the small
minority of the
reviews but it sounds like you've got one of their "Famous Magnetic
return it and get the new one and test the heck out of it.
I had not heard anything about the motors - I hope that won't be the case
with mine. As to the packaging, I was very lucky - it arrived in perfect
condition. If had arrived with a small dent or two, I still wouldn't have
gotten excited unless it effected use. I figure that I bought a power tool,
not a car. Funny how some things that are very important to some are not so
much to others.
Mine is just short of a year old without any problems. Magnetic switches can be
a bear in the wood shop. I had an Allen-Bradley starter on my old
Delta-Rockwell table saw for many years. It was prone to start failure from
dampness, sawdust, and any other kind of foreign fuzz stuff that could find
it's way inside the box. Although I liked the safety of the magnetic starter, I
finally had to throw in the towel and swap it out for a toggle. Yeah, I still
use the old saw for a lot of things. Grinding through steel stock on an
enclosed cabinet saw scares to sparks out of me. :-)
Although this is an option on the Grizzly, I would do everything in my power to
hold on to the Mag switch.
New Eagle, PA
I've got original magnetic starters on saw, planer, jointer, ... all
that are 20+ years old and have <never> had a failure. It's been so
long since I've had one open I forget but I believe Rockwell was using
Square D at the time of these. The boxes are, however, sealed well
which keeps virtually all dust, etc., out. If there's an issue, I think
it may be the starter wasn't designed for the application...
Me, too, to the point of buying my own replacement if Grizzly can't come
up w/ a suitable one...
The starters I had were salvaged from some plastics processing machinery. The
enclosures were NEMA 1 and provided not barrier against dust and damp. It was
the contacts on the holding relay that finally gave up. I was involved in a bit
of motor control in the seventies and had amassed a small collection of
starters, relays, control buttons & switches, and enclosures.
I did finally get rid of some of the stuff in a move, nine years ago, at least,
I think I did. :-)
If the original poster cannot come to favorable terms with Grizzly, and can
afford to follow this avenue, I agree, wholeheartedly. My personal preference
was Allen-Bradley, but Square-D is just fine, and probably easier to pick up at
any decent electrical supply house. I would recommend a well sealed enclosure
in a wood shop environment. If one has the required drilling equipment, NEMA 12
would be a good choice.
For any of those interested in NEMA ratings for electrical enclosures, check
Hey (zzzzt), don't touch (ZAP) that. :-)
New Eagle, PA
Try cleaning the contact points with a bit of sandpaper. Had that happen on
my old Rockwell , cleaned them up and worked fine for a few years before I
gave it away. AFAIK it's still going strong. If it's damp in your shop or
humid in your area it may be an ongoing problem for you.
Good luck with it.
<sigh> For Thor's sake, if you're going to burnish contacts,
drop by the electrical outlet and get a proper burnishing tool.
You'll need to purchase only one in your entire life.
http://tinyurl.com/67prx Amazon pocket tool
Sand in the innards of anything mechanical (relays, switches, etc.)
is always a bad idea.
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
you scored 4 points on that one. Good for ya!
(two points for being VERY accurate and to the point.)
( the other two points? Being extremely nice about it ... though it IS hard
sometimes not to clang a couple of heads together just to get them to stop
bickering. Again ... good for ya! ).
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.