magnetic switch

The magnetic switch on my Jet 3 HP cabinet saw shuts off randomly while the saw is in use. The inside of the switch is nearly spotless so it isn't a dust built up problem...
I posted some photos in ABPW... In the photos it can be seen that there are adjustment wheels in the switch. What do they do and how does one judge that the adjustments are correct?
This problem first occurred back in June while I was building a patrol box for my sons' Boy Scout Troop. I was away for a couple months this summer and had forgotten about the problem until I used the saw today...
Thoughts?
Thanks,
John
P.S. You can see where I was at http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/RipVanWinkle
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 5, 3:49 pm, "John Grossbohlin"

Can't help you with the switch, John, but I enjoyed reading a bit about your bike adventures. I'll have to give it a proper read - looks great!
I am another one that was very disappointed to find out that a lot of my bike touring stuff deteriorated after only 30 years. They don't make things like they used to. ;)
Keep riding.
✖
wrote:>> P.S. You can see where I was at

Yeah... only 30 years and the stuff turned into useless stuff... I'm actually going to throw some of it away rather than continue to warehouse it! LOL
John
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 5, 5:43 pm, "John Grossbohlin"

Make sure you check eBay before you toss anything. It's funny how some old pieces of kit can bring some bucks. Years ago I gave a buddy the original Campagnolo aero water bottle. He used the things for years and still has it and uses it. I ran across one on eBay and I was shocked to see how much a used water bottle could fetch.
✖

The stuff I'm throwing out of isn't serviceable any longer... if it was serviceable it would be on Craigslist along with the serviceable stuff!
I also weigh the opportunity costs of listing stuff against what I can reasonably expect to get for it. Handling 20 e-mails for a $10 item isn't worth my time and it goes in the trash... it seems like the low priced stuff and free stuff generates the most e-mails so I really weigh the opportunity costs.
John
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 5 Sep 2011 15:49:02 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"

The best bet would be to contact Jet Tools:
North America Manufacturing Headquarters 427 New Sanford Rd La Vergne, TN 37086-4184 Phone: 615-793-8900 Fax: 615-793-8905 Email: snipped-for-privacy@waltermeier.com
or the US distributor for NHD Industrial, the maker of the overload relay:
Distributor in USA Kevin McSorley Electrotech Sales Group LLC 151 Discovery Drive Unit 111 Colmar, PA 18915 P 215-997-8855; F 215-822-7632 snipped-for-privacy@esgllc-usa.com www.esgllc-usa.com
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

✖
"tiredofspam" <nospam.nospam.com> wrote in message

I was thinking the same thing but then I questioned what exactly is the pointer... and why, after 7 1/2 years is it suddenly acting up?
That last question is why I thought dust build up was the problem initially...
Add pictures here
✖

How about the contact points? They could be pitted or otherwise in need of a cleanup.
Add pictures here
✖

The switch looks like new inside... it has a rubber gasket to keep the dust out, I checked all the screws for tightness, and all the contacts are bright and shiny. All of which makes the sudden problems puzzling.
Also, I do NOT have to reset the motor or press the off button before restarting. I just hit the start button and the saw starts right back up. It's almost like the magnet lost strength???
John
Add pictures here
✖
On

Sounds like a bad coil or the hot lead going to the coil insn't energizing it.
RP
Add pictures here
✖
"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

<snip> ---------------------------------------- "Magnetic switch" AKA: "Magnetic Motor Starter".
This one appears to have a time delay.
First things first.
Call Jet tech service (They have an 800#), model number in hand and explain problem.
They will probably download the right instruction sheets (PDF files) and walk you thru it.
Have fun.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖

Always.... ;~) I looked all over their web site and couldn't find anything on the switches nor in the documents that came with the saw. Guess I'll have to find time to call them but time is a scarce commodity during business hours so it may take a while.
John
Add pictures here
✖
"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

---------------------------------- You'll waste a lot less time working with tech service than conducting a snipe hunt here.
You need the motor starter instruction sheets.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖

Sometimes folks here really know and respond quickly... it's worth a shot!
John
Add pictures here
✖

My shaper started doing this recently, and it was a loose wire on the breaker. I bought the shaper used and "thought" it had a magnetic switch, but shortly after it went off, it went ON. Damn...
I had just had a new 200 amp service installed and the guy didn't tighten the wire in that circuit breaker. Probably not your problem but it was a problem for me. It particularly highlighted the good side of a mag switch...
--
Jack
✖