Magnetic Starter

My new bandsaw started doing something funny tonight. A few times when I pressed the start button it sounds like its turning on, but doesn't quite get up to speed initially and something kicks in (magnetic starter?) and the it starts to pick up speed eventually reaching full speed. I never noticed it until tonight and it is to late to call Rikon until tomorrow. Just looking for some instant feed back :)

This is my first tool with a magnetic starter. Is this normal? Do I need to chill out?

Reply to
stoutman

Is there a click or other audible sound when that something kicks in? If so, where is it coming from: mag starter or the motor? If the motor, it is probably the centrifugal starting switch and a good blow with compressed air may solve the problem. From your description I don't think it is the mag starter at fault. But if it is a call the to mfgr is in order.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

It's coming from the motor. It is the same sound I here when I initially start the saw. Then a few seconds later it starts up again, and the saw takes like normal.

It doesn't do this all the time and it just started tonight. I don't own an air compressor. I could use a can of compressed air. Where do I blow the air?

Reply to
stoutman

I shop vac'ed the back (exhaust fan) and sides (fins) of the motor and this "appears" to have fixed the problem.

I am trying to put this sucker through it's pases and find any "bugs" now instead of later.

Thank you!

Reply to
stoutman

I don't think the Rikon has a magnetic starter or switch. Perhaps the belt is slipping and you hear the motor slow down when it starts to grab again.

Reply to
Leon

The centrifugal switch is at the end that the wires enter the motor. If there are vent holes in the end plate and/or the sides, that's where you blow the air. If there are no holes then it's unlikely you have sawdust in there and the switch could just be a bad one and should be covered under warrantee.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

with compressed air may solve the problem.

Given my limited motor experience and your description, I'd guess this is the most likely explaination. If you can take the motor cover off, blowing out the whole thing would be a good idea, or the centrifugal switch (if there is one) should be roughly disc- or cylinder-shaped on one end of the main coil. A can of compressed air should work, or you might try a shop vac with a narrow attachment tool to increase suction airspeed. The centrifugal switch is there to shut off a capacitor that provides extra voltage to get the motor started, and then shuts off this extra power once it reaches 3/4 or so of max speed, at which point only the main coil is powered. It makes sense to me that if this centrifugal switch is partly clogged with dust, the changeover from starting power to running power would be interrupted, but once it eventually unclogs, the switch trips and all is normal. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm way off in this description or analysis.) How old is your bandsaw? You say it's new, so if dust hasn't had a chance to build up much yet, maybe the weights in the centrifugal switch are binding up for some other reason, but that seems unlikely. Let us know if you get this solved, and what works to solve it. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Could it still have a centrifugal switch?

Reply to
stoutman

Yeah. IIRC there is a chick you hear when you turn it off and it slows down to a near stop. Also it is a TEFC motor so dust should not be getting into the innerds.

Reply to
Leon

There is also a click when the started. Tonight it was winding up to speed, stalling then something was clicking on again and the motor would then "take off" to running speed.

After vacuuming out around the motor it has not done it, but this could be coincidence.

I don't think this is the belt.

I'm calling Rikon tomorrow morning.

Reply to
stoutman

Andy

" The centrifugal switch is there to shut off a capacitor that provides extra voltage to get the motor started, and then shuts off this extra power once it reaches 3/4 or so of max speed"

Not to pick but the capacitor provides phase shift to the starting winding to provide direction for the motor rotation.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Really? Does she talk, or just vocalize? This is a Rikon? I didn't get one with my Grizzly. :-/

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

LOL.... L looked at chick about 5 times thinking it looked wrong. So you missed the chick on your Grizzly???? I hope my new Laguna has a chick. LOL

Reply to
Leon