Magnetic Featherboards ?

Page 2 of 2

As far as I can tell so far, the main reason that the fence stays put is the combination of magnets on the bottom and on the "squaring tee" or whatever you'd call the part of the fence that rides on the side of the table.. I think that keeps it where you put it, in addition to the fence being tall, and the log round, so a lot of the side force is up high... it seems that the log trying to push the fence "over" is very difficult, but if I try to use the fence for things like plywood, the back tends to move.. My guess (just starting experimenting a week ago) is that if the work is pushing sideways on the magnets, they slip, but if the force is trying to "pull" them off the table, the magnets are very hard to move..
I'll have to try adapting my featherboard to a "t" or something and try it.. (it clamps on right now, as it's built for a router table)
opps.. almost missed your last question, about adjustments.. I copied my Shopsmith fence and put an allen setscrew in each side to the "T" so that if you want an angle, you run one set screw in to push one side of the "T" slightly away from the table side, or in my case, the metal plate that I bolted to the side of the table..
The whole setup will probably become obsolete when I put the riser block on and build a resawing sled.. (also plan on putting a larger table (wood) over the existing one, so magnets won't help any more)
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

ok,
was
of 2

along
sliding
surface..
disks,
them in

in
counter...
Good way to erase the magnetic strip on your credit cards... I generally avoid putting magnets in my pockets.
-j

I was given a few Benchdog (orange)..if that makes a difference featherboads a few years ago to use with my benchdog router table
BUT....I use them 10 times more on the the tablessaw..
I have not reached for my magnetic featherboard since I tried the benchdog units.. They just work what can I say...
Bob Griffiths
These things are well worth the price. I've had one for years and use it all the time.

Well contrary to most users findings, I did not like them, The did not grip tight enough for me and I found that they would slip if a little leverage worked against them. I was surprised to see that they moved so easily. Like Bob G. I prefer the orange Bench dog feather boards. Those don't slip.