magnetic blade angle detector

I recently bought digital angle guage that magnetically attaches to my tablesaw blade. It detects the angle of the blade cut. My question is whether it actually measures the angle in relationship to the tablesaw or true level.
Robin

Place it on the table and zero it out. When attached to the blade it will then be referenced off the table.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I guess I'll have to read the instructions and see how to do that. I used it for the first time yesterday and my 45 degree (based on the gauge) cuts didn't match up when I built a small frame.
Robin
On 5/31/2013 1:58 PM, rlz wrote:

Oh hell no, read the directions as a last resort! :~)
"Leon" wrote:

That's cheating.
Lew
On 5/31/13 1:58 PM, rlz wrote:

One thing to keep in mind. Don't lean on the table when reading the device. When I first got mine, my cuts were way off. Then I realized that, when bending down to read the angle readout with the cube on the blade, I was leaning on the table which wasn't sitting perfectly flat on my sloping concrete garage floor. This changed the angle of the table, ever so slightly, but enough to change the readout by at least a few 10ths... plenty enough to mess up a miter joint.
--

-MIKE-

What he said.

Either that or use it to level the table first.
On 5/31/2013 1:59 PM, rlz wrote:

relative to the table.
If not its just true to level.
--
Jeff

On 5/31/2013 6:10 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Assuming it was zeroed to true level to begin with, not likely.
On 5/31/2013 8:31 PM, Leon wrote:

Actually I have one that is similar. I don't use it much, but it was dead on, Checked with a level, and it is very good. Mine is the tiltbox ii, not as good resolution as the wixey.. but well made, and batteries have lasted for about 2 years.
I have used it with a steel stud (pretty straight) for grading single handedly. played with it in the shop, and it's good, but I don't find it that useful for WW needs in the shop.
--
Jeff

On 5/31/2013 8:30 PM, woodchucker wrote:

I have had one too for years, it is the only way I set my bevel angle on my TS. But these measuring devises do not indicate level, rather they indicate the degree of tilt from where it was last zeroed.
My batteries started lasting much longer after realizing that the tight fitting case pressed the" on button" if I was not careful sliding it back inside the case.