Magazine storage covers?

Does anyone know a source for magazine storage boxes? I have about 6 feet of back issues (Fine Woodworking and Woodwork magazines). At one time I seem to remember seeing boxes for back issues for sale?

Reply to
Bubba

The latest Wood magazine has an article regarding this.

Reply to
efgh

IKEA has a number of them. How much you spend depends on how spiffy you want them to look.

RicodJour

Any office supply will carry them (OfficeMax, Office Depot, etc.), as will most department stores wherever office supplies are sold.

I also saw some interesting magazine boxes at my local "Fred Meyer" department store the other day. They were made of lots of little wood strips glued up into 1/4" thick panels and then the panels were cut and glued to make magazine boxes. As a woodworker, it looked like an interesting way to use up lots of little scrap cutoffs.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

I once needed a large number of these, both for myself and for someone else. Luckily the local dollar stores got in a large supply. They were the really expensive, designer variety as well. All for a buck apeice.

I am still using them. I have not seen them lately though.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Good newsagents, or Amazon have a heap of different ones at all different prices

HappyGilmore

There is something oddly perverse about owning a collection of woodworking magazines and then going to Ikea to obtain storage units for them. Somewhere in all of those issues there must be an article on building magazine storage units. I'm sure there must be something on diynet.com because David Marks and Amy Devers have both built them on their shows.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

Ikea just do plywood boxes or drawer stacks better than I do. I've got lots of them in the workshop, and lots of their cardboard magazine files too. Their investment in machinery beats my ability to cut comb joints cheaply and quickly, and they somehow sell them for less than I can buy raw plywood.

Sadly their quality (Europe) is a fraction of what it was some years ago. Much thinner plywood.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Bubba:

Here's what I did - and it was way cheap. I bought some 10/12 gal plastic Rubbermaid containers with lids. I put the mags in order by publisher and then made computer labels with what was in there! They are stackable and dust free. I have about 10 of these and it works great.

MJ Wallace

Reply to
mjmwallace

I'd thought the plywood holders were from China or Indonesia.

RicodJour

Quite probably, if you buy them in the USA. Here in the UK, most of the wooden stuff (plywood anyway) I buy in Ikea is from around the Baltic.

They do swap countries quite often, even for the same SKU. You can often tell, because the quality always goes noticeably down, never up.

I used to buy their picture frames commercially, a dozen or two at a time. These were always the same painted wood frame, made in France. Then they switched to Poland, where the wood was good but the paint finish not so well done. Then they switched to China and they were such rubbish I stopped buying them altogether. Now I buy from Hobbyworld at around 3x the price. My cost is elastic here -- I'm framing something worth 20 times as much, I just don't care about a buck on the frame, so long as the quality's good enough. Seems I'm just not on their radar though.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You can get about 8 out of a 1/2 sheet of 1/4" plywood. Back and bottom about 3 1/2" wide with sides 9x12 and a short fromt piece. Use CA glue to hold it together or regular glue with clamps. Curve the sides for eye appeal.

Reply to
tdup2

Bubba, wrote the following at or about 6/7/2007 8:25 AM:

Take a look in the back (classifieds) as well as sometimes in the front of one of the new Fine Woodworking magazines. They sell them, already labeled with gold leaf on a Royal Blue pasteboard. My collection, starting with issue 1 sits in about seven or eight of them. IIRC FW sells them for around $47 per half dozen. I bought some from them and some from a library supply company up in Wisconsin. Price was nearly the same either way but FW had a nicer quality feel to them.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

David Marks made a beautiful set:

bglenden

RE: Subject

First you collect some "stuff".

Then, you need to make some boxes to keep the "stuff".

Reminds me of a lyric from a Pete Seeger song about tickey, tackie little boxes.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Or a George Carlin routine about having his stuff spread across the continent.

Bill

Reply to
BillinDetroit

BillinDetroit