Made my First Cabinet Doors (I'm so proud) almost like a new parent!

Finished cutting, planing and routing. Perfection! Next will be finishing it! I ended up going to 84 Lumber Ramsey, very helpful and really nice people. Much better then Lowes, Home Depot and my local..... I was going to buy 13 & 20 inch stock and yeah warping was an issue, but I was going to rip

4 inch pieces. I decided just cutting up 1" x 3.5". and joining them via tongue and grove. but I also pre-drilled .25" 1 inch inside from the top and bottom across the width and hammering a glued dowel across the width, this should resist any warping whatsoever!

I also experimented GREATLY and found a great consistent color. I'm using the first coat of Polyshades (minwax) Pecan Satin, then I wipe on the red oak stain and finish with the satin wipe on poly... Cool!

Reply to
M-14

Huh? You are putting stain on AFTER Polyshades?? That I've got to see.

Dave

HMFIC@1369 wrote:

Reply to
David

hhmmmmm. Around here 84 lumber is called 42 Lumber, cuz they usually have only half of what you need, or sometimes 168 Lumber, cuz it takes them twice as long to deliver than promised! Congrats on your success, post some pics! --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

That was my thought - I've been trying to learn a bit about fininshing (flexner book, web, here, etc) and I was under the impression that that polyurethane sealed the wood - a top coat. The stain penetrates after that ? I'm getting confused.

jim

Reply to
Jim Bailey

Yup! and it works perfect! I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Reply to
M-14

Well I've made tons of furniture. all by the book. Maple is a soft wood, and what I think is happening is that the coat of Polyshade as like a pre-finish. after it dries, I use a foam brush for the red oak. When that dries I hand rub a poly on and it's perfect!!! What I get is a lighter more golden red oak!

Reply to
M-14

Sounds more like the technique (but not the materials) for doing a glaze.

Dave

HMFIC@1369 wrote:

Reply to
David

Reply to
M-14

If you have made tons of furniture, how have you avoided making cabinet doors up until this time and not realize that Maple is also a very hard wood.

Reply to
Leon

Who are you? Nothing to do? Just a waste of time, huh? Well call me when you get a clue!

Reply to
M-14

:)

Dave

Reply to
David

You sounded like you were trying to convince someone that you knew what you were talking about. My questions were really simple had you really known what you were talking about. Sorry if I put you on the spot or embarrassed you.

Reply to
Leon

Leon, don't bust my chops.reread the subject line.... does that convince anyone what I'm talking about? You aren't adding anything to the discussion are you? Your trying to make a point to bust my chops. Maple is a soft wood because you can make an impression on it with you finger nail and Minwax FAQ's will also tell you it's a soft wood. You didn't put me on the spot, there was just no point to your post.

If you have made tons of furniture, how have you avoided making cabinet doors up until this time and not realize that Maple is also a very hard wood

I've made benches, chairs and tables and one summer helped build 2 houses. Which really doesn't say much as to why I never built cabinets.... Just never had the need too.

embarrassed

Reply to
New

How profound! Nit much going on Huh?

Reply to
New

I cannot understand why you are so defensive. I was asking a question about your comments and you took offence.

That was the answer I was looking for. Thanks

Reply to
Leon