Made in USA brands

Page 1 of 3

I saw from a 1999 post that Ridgid's EB4424 Belt Sander was made in the USA. Thought things might have changed, I emailed Ridgid, I was right.
"RIDGID Response: (05/02/2005 12:06)
The EB4424 is made in China/Taiwan to the same exacting Ridgid standards that it was when it was made in the U.S. Best regards, Tom C. Consumer Response - One World Technologies, Inc. "
Irritation - they don't reply to your email - they send you a user name/password to use with there 'E-box" on their website - BS. I digress.
Who are the Made in USA power tool makers left? Delta is a mixed bag. DeWalt? Porter Cable?
Pains me to buy the China stuff.
I suggest you buy stock in Chinese companies. That way you'll be buying American is a strange sort of way.....

I've got a bunch of Porter Cable stuff that ranges in age from a few weeks to about 18 years... I don't recall seeing anything but Made in USA on it (course that could be the box that was made in the USA. ;-)).
Seriously, PC is my preferred brand... a local service shop means I can get any parts I loose, wear out or break. For example, the dust collection canister from the random orbit sander didn't survive it's trip through the dust collector's impeller... I was using the dust collector as a vacuum and accidentally sucked up the canister. ;-)
John

I have a P-C cordless drill I bought in early 2001. Made in Taiwan. They make some stuff in the USA, but not cordless.
That damn drill is dying already and I didn't use it all that much. There is a distinct ozone smell every time the trigger is touched. I took it apart and all the internals are one big cartridge. You basically buy a new drill if something breaks.
Brian Elfert
writes:

Interesting... I don't have any cordless tools (unless you count hammers, planes, etc.). All my portable power tools have "wires," as my son puts it. (One day I pulled out my corded PC 3/8" drill and my son asked me what it was. I told him it was a drill. He responded with "Oh, I never saw one with a wire." Guess he's seen too many home improvement shows. ;-))
John
I have two PC nailers. Both made in Taiwan.

get
and
I'm a free-market person and while it might be hard to accept the export of jobs overseas look at this way.
Everyone is trying to save money. Including companies. In order to compete, companies have to continually stay on top of price curve in order to stay in business. Otherwise someone will come in with an "as good" product at a cheaper price point and put them out of business. That said, Thomas Friedman in his latest series of articles and in his latest book "The World is Flat", gets it right when said that the way Americans compete in this global free market is to offer employers something they can't buy elsewhere. .
(I think a wonderful case in point is Bridge City Tools - they produce some fantastic tools and I think that it would be hard for them to ship jobs overseas - couldn't get the quality. At least not yet!)
We need to fix up our educational systems, our trade schools, etc. This is a crisis in the making and it will bit us in a shorter time then the so-called SS problems that the current president is so fixated on.
The big benefit I see with India/China and elsewhere making our products is that the money that the employees get there is helping to increase the middle class in those countries. It also helps to foster peace by giving those people a vested interest in the world economy.
(Imagine if the disaffected Muslims in Iran/Iraq and elsewhere had a stake in gainful employement, would the terriorist groups have a harder recruiting job? I'd think so. Doesn' t mean that they won't find fanatics, but if there was something they could see happening for their families, I'd think the be relucant to join a group that espouses death).
So, buy US, if you can, if not buy locally, if not then buy what you can afford.
MJ Wallace
snipped-for-privacy@onebox.com wrote:

Sorry to bust your Bridge City nostalgia. Their combination square rules were made in India. I just picked up a closeout 12 inch rule at the WW show for $14.95 with Bridge City markings and made in India. In fact Manny (of Manny's ww) tells me that he buys from the same factory that made some of Bridge City tool stuff.
snipped-for-privacy@onebox.com writes:

In some cases, you simply can't find new stuff made in the USA anymore without looking long and hard. There are no drill presses made in the USA expcet some really expensive Powermatics that I know of. General does maek one in Canada that is still $850 or more, and I did buy one a few years back.
I'm not going to go to five different stores looking for something like kitchen measruing cups made in the USA. I might go to five different stores looking for a tool made in the USA.
Brian Elfert
snipped-for-privacy@onebox.com wrote in
<snip>

<snip>
Not to deny the problems in the schools, but, according to the venture capitalist who spoke at lunch time today, a significant portion of the engineers being hired in China, to do development on a very large scale Asian ecommerce effort, were educated in schools in the United States and Canada.
There is a competitive cost to educating the world, but there are great benefits as well. You live in the Bay Area. Who leads Silicon Valley? Whence come the engineers? And where are they educated?
Patriarch, who just bought a made-in-Milwaukee Delta jointer, and it's only 50+ years old.
snipped-for-privacy@onebox.com wrote:

Apprenticeships at Mercedes and Volkswagen factories are highly sought after. They create careers that the workers are very proud of. It shows in their products. The Japanese (Toyota/Honda etc) are the same way--->THEY do the training in the technical- and 'people'-skills. Here, speaking as an Americanadian, all you hear is: "Once I get my ass into that union!!" Where is that pride you hear so much about in the ads?
The educational system seems to work for those kids who WANT to get ahead. Too many expect to be spoon-fed a degree. The problems start at home. So do the solutions.

That's just a Rovian smoke-screen. It's called misdirection, magicians operate on that principle.
Robatoy says...

Yet Volkswagen quality has been at the bottom of the heap for many years now. Audi is mediocre at best, and speaking of Mercedes, you had better get something when money is no object. American cars are much better than they are given credit for, and not all Japanese cars are just like a Lexus in reliability. I find most of them to be soulless and insipid and most of the people who drive them treat you like an idiot if you don't agree with sending thousands of dollars to the perpetrators of the Bataan Death March. Asian-Americans almost always drive Japanese cars, yet what the Japanese did to Asia was as bad as what the Germans did to the Russians. According to human nature, everything imported is better, no matter how obvious it is that it isn't better. In England, some people actually drink Budweiser. That about floored me when I heard that.

Volkswagens are built to a price-point. Not a good idea. Not even those Volkswagens made in Mexico. Audis are a hyper bunch. Incredibly complex, incredibly agile. $1200.00 tune-ups. Worth it if you're into that kind of thing. Mercedes is highly overrated in my opinion. Ranks amongst the highest in 'one-time buyer' syndrome in the luxury market. Many don't buy a second one.

Some are better than average. Many 'Japanese' cars like Toyotas are built in North America. (Many BMW's are made in Georgia.)

Cheap Toyota Corollas are more reliable than the big models that Lexus sells. ( My nephew is a service advisor for a Toyota/Lexus dealership in Kansas.)

Incredibly boring. Suddenly 1200 dollar tune-ups don't seem so bad, eh?

Indeed.
Couldn't agree more. Here in Canada, we make some of the better beer in the world, but Budweiser is all the rage in some areas. Go figure. Budweiser in the UK...mmmmm warm too? If my information is correct, Aussies don't care much for Fosters either.
Anyway, I agree with many of your observations. What you did not touch on was the difference in workers' attitudes, and that was the point I was trying to make.
Respectfully,
Rob
I think the BMW's are made in South Carolina, not Georgia (but I could be wrong).

I stand (sit) corrected. It's all 'down South' to me, a Kanuckistani. <G> You know.. warm, sometimes rainy, sometimes really frickin' windy?
Having said that, I sure hope I did't start anything.
Robatoy wrote:

If ya weren't one of those brown-haired friendly people from the GWN, I'd be wondering about what's beyond Damn Yankee. %-)
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

IIRC, Honda is manufactured in the US as well.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
On Tue, 3 May 2005 21:41:04 -0500, Hax Planx

I actually kinda like Budweiser, but it gives me a headache that feels like a mule kicked me the next day, so I drink Bass instead (it's a good trade with the Brits who are drinking Buds.)
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Maybe they be sought after more on a DVD? Sent to them via text messaging?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Dewalt, Porter Cable majority of their stuff is US made. Milwaukee too although the parent is in Hong Kong.