Made in America

Page 2 of 2

...and *horrors* Germany, France, and Japan! I wonder just that 'I' stands for, anyway.
On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 21:03:44 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I honestly can't remember any support jobs being farmed out to those countries. Think the price of admission was too high. The department I worked in handled the entire US support for ThinkPad laptops. Definitely a very demanding customer base. This was in 1997.
Being a Canadian, I can remember getting several almost derogatory comments from US customers about my "New York" accent. I wonder what kind of comments were passed out when support went first to Ireland, and then horrors, India. I would have liked to sit in on a few of those calls.

Support? I was talking about *design* jobs. Thousands of them.

Interestingly, ThinkPad service and support is in Atlanta, even though Lenovo bought the line seven or eight years ago. They still use the IBM call center.

I always got Southern accents (Atlanta). I just replaced my wife's ThinkPad and it certainly wasn't a Bangalore accent. ;-)
On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 23:27:59 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Entirely possible. My IBM experience was 1997-1999. After that exposure, I considered employment where among other things, out of the country outsourcing was unlikely. That was one reason why I went into technical writing. Unlikely I'd ever get outsourced. Language work is one of the few bastions of protection that rarely go out of country or province for that matter.
"Dave" wrote:

------------------------------- Used to tell the the tech writers to take their finished piece home and have some non tech person read it.
If they understood it, they were done.
If they didn't, back to the drawing board.
Lew
On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 22:17:14 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

Good advise. The biggest problem I had tech writing was butting heads with the tech professionals. A sizeable portion of them couldn't understand why it was so important that their writing had to be perfect when writing for non tech people. They just couldn't (or wouldn't) realize that not having good English writing skills caused them to be taken less seriously. The ones that did realize it were usually the ones that hired me. Hell, immigrant or not, they were all smarter than me, there just happened to be one thing I could do better than them.

I bought my first (personal) ThinkPad in '05. Support was in Atlanta then. I dealt with them, through IBM, in your timeframe, also. May have been corporate customers only, though.

I'm still in doing design stuff, but (was) retired from IBM five years ago. 32+ years in IBM and I've just started my third job, in three industries, in four years. ;-)
On 12/4/2011 1:34 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

And Carlos Osario, the Columbian national in the sawstop suit in MA?
I see, with my own eyes, more and more example on "This Old House" every year, even though I'm sure, and it is reasonable to assume, that at least some effort is made to insure that you don't.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

I know plenty of builders in the area. Most have local employees, English speaking natives of the area. I'm sure some others exist, but they are a minority here.
Four years ago we rebuilt our factory. Of the 100 or so workmen that came and went, I don't recall of any that were not. Evidently, we travel in different circles.
On 12/4/2011 3:52 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yep, we do ... and mine is called the "Construction Industry", which was the subject of the conversation.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
"Dave" wrote in message wrote:

Isn't it possible that most of the foreign labour you refer to is as a result of Texas' proximity to Mexico? Maybe the further north one heads in the US, that foreign labour decreases dramatically? Am I wrong for thinking that? ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Yep. I live in Washington. We're infested to.
That depends, I am one of the very few Americans in my division. Being in IT I am a rare oddity. I just spoke with someone today who recently retired. He said he tried fighting management who wanted to have more that 60% outsourcing by next years end. He put together a report showing that it actually cost more, but management buried it. So it doesn't get better up north here. Just different foreigners.
On 12/4/2011 1:31 PM, Dave wrote:

Guess their dream came true. It truly is a Global Economy... Ugh!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Dave wrote:

I think they're everywhere.
Aside: While thinking of a border fence to secure everything, there is one problem I haven't heard addressed: Two-thirds of the border, over 1,200 miles, is a freakin' RIVER (the Rio Grande). Do you put the fence in the middle of the river, or what?
"No, dummy, you put it on the U.S. side of the river," some would say.
Well, aside from a swatch of the river adjacent to Big Bend National Park, the rest of the land adjoining the river is private property. Ranchers depend on access to the water for their cattle and crops.
I don't believe our betters in Washington even want to think about it.
On 12/05/2011 07:08 AM, HeyBub wrote:

sharks?
piranhas?
They have plenty of those in D. C.
--
"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame somebody else." -John Burroughs

Mines. Much cheaper than fences and works on land and in the water.
On 12/5/2011 9:08 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Deputize the ranchers to enforce the law?
HeyBub wrote:

"Our betters?" Hmmm I have to take umbrage with that statement.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Doug Winterburn wrote the following:

Thanks. I reposted this and Nova's PDF link reply to alt.building.construction
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY