Made in America

Page 1 of 2
<http://cdnapi.kaltura.com/index.php/kwidget/wid/0_04vzdsr5/uiconf_id/5590821
--
"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame somebody else." -John Burroughs
On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 07:26:51 -0700, Doug Winterburn
Thanks Doug,
Here's a link to the list mentioned in the report:
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2011/10/how-to-build-a-made-in-america-home /
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Cool. I'll see if I can scare up those mfgrs here in OR, and ask my suppliers to offer them if they don't now.
-- Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice. -- Elizabeth Cady Stanton
On 12/4/2011 8:26 AM, Doug Winterburn wrote:

Too damn bad that:
1. The housing market has turned to shit thanks to your government's intervention.
2. The majority of the people whose labor actually builds these house do not directly pay taxes on the wages they are paid when doing so, and much of that money goes immediately out of the country.
Warm, fuzzy, feel good propaganda? You make the call.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

True, but now is the time to get ready for when it returns.

I'm not se what you mean about the taxes. In this area, most of the tradesmen are US taxpaying citizens. Many are not working as often as they should because building is slow, but the ones that are, pay taxes, buy goods and services. Yes, they do buy flat screen TV's and send that money outside, but they buy American pickup trucks too.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I don't see that happening until the market is allowed to reset. And with the current entitlement mentality of this administration that will not happen.

I live in California and most of the framers and concrete is done by Illegal Mexicans. It's only the finish trades that are made up of legals.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

USED, WORN OUT pickups, though.
-- Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice. -- Elizabeth Cady Stanton
On 12/4/2011 11:36 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The foreclosure bubble, on housing that most of those left with jobs who may qualify for financing, hasn't even hit yet, so don't hold your breath.

Don't work in the construction industry do you?
"Tradesmen", in the traditional sense in which you are using the term, no longer build houses.
"Laborers", who work for the few "tradesmen" left (defined today as the smarter of those who got here first, but not necessarily with the skills of craftsmanship you would expect in the traditional sense of the term), build today's houses.
Many are not working as often as

Go build a house or two as a GC, then come back and tell me how many of your misconceptions above are in tatters.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message wrote:

True, but now is the time to get ready for when it returns.

I'm not se what you mean about the taxes. In this area, most of the tradesmen are US taxpaying citizens. Many are not working as often as they should because building is slow, but the ones that are, pay taxes, buy goods and services. Yes, they do buy flat screen TV's and send that money outside, but they buy American pickup trucks too. ================================================================= Around here, the majority of "carpenters" are Mexican illegals with a few Americans thrown in to keep an eye on them.
On 12/4/11 7:06 PM, CW wrote:

Nashville recently replaced its perfectly acceptable convention center with a new convention center. One of the reasons used to con taxpayers into paying for it was all the jobs it would create.
It was discovered that the General Contractor was paying off an INS informant when, on a day of a planned surprise inspection by the INS, 80% of the workers just happened to call in sick. One worker on site that day called a local radio program and expressed that it was the only day he could do his job without an interpreter.
--

-MIKE-

Don't forget the Greenies, who forced the lumber to be mostly imported. There are still dozens of lawsuits against lumber mills here in OR right now. <sigh> (That said, I don't want to see any clearcut forests anywhere near me, TYVM.)

Surprisingly enough, I didn't see the usual swarm of Mexilaborers on that site, Swingy. SoCal is built mostly by Hispanics of unknown nationality, but almost certainly not American citizens. Something like $10B from wages goes directly to Mexico via wire every year. http://articles.latimes.com/2007/feb/26/nation/na-remit26 http://www.cairco.org/econ/econ.html

One or two American laborers still work here, yeah?
-- Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice. -- Elizabeth Cady Stanton
On 12/4/2011 11:42 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

LOL! You get it because you're in the business and therefore see the bullshit for what it is, but you wouldn't expect the Diane Sawyer's of the media to make it as obvious as it really is now do you?
This video, and the concept behind it, is nothing more but warm and fuzzy, feel good propagandizing that in no way addresses the underlying issues brought to you by your clowngressman and both political parties.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 12/4/11 12:08 PM, Swingman wrote:

Agreed, Karl. It's not an all inclusive solution, but it's certainly a good start, right?
--

-MIKE-

On 12/4/2011 1:00 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I don't buy into it, Mike. The basic tenet of property ownership, freedom and peace is "free trade".
"Buy American" is, IMO, nothing more than a pacifier to make the average American ignoramus citizen feel good about something while he is being robbed of his property, freedom, and ability to trade freely by those who impose upon him both a fiat currency, and purchased political class, to keep him under their thumbs.
Then again, I'm just an old, cynical SOB ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 12/4/11 2:04 PM, Swingman wrote:

Yes. Yes, you are. :-p
--

-MIKE-

Once all the states get the mandatory hiring checks in place, the illegal population should diminish. Saaay, before we deport them, we should make them to build a climb-over/dig-under-proof wall at the borders, huh, to defray the costs of deportation? Write to your CONgresscritter today!

Correction: "both totally corrupt political parties."
-- Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice. -- Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Isn't it possible that most of the foreign labour you refer to is as a result of Texas' proximity to Mexico? Maybe the further north one heads in the US, that foreign labour decreases dramatically? Am I wrong for thinking that?
On 12/4/2011 12:31 PM, Dave wrote:

Having traveled most of the US playing music during the past 30 years, and at the same time having taken due notice of regional construction ongoings out of informed curiosity, I would say, IME, you are much more likely to be incorrect on that score than correct.
No area of the US is immune from immigrant labor from South of our borders, legal or otherwise.
Please note that I'm a huge proponent of immigrant labor in the form of a regulated "Guest Worker Program".
But, unlike our clowngress and both political parties, I do not, in any way shape or form, agree with their obvious ignoring of a social problem caused by the lack thereof, when a realistic, logical solution is available, especially one that improves conditions for all concerned.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

No, you are correct. Many parts of the country have other illegals, but the building trades are not so bad in the northeast yet. If you are in manufacturing and use labor from a temp service, English is a rare language. Assorted Orientals and central America is represented.

Well admittedly, my experience in the building trades is limited. I will however, defer to your opinion in the form of having watched entire departments disappear (including one I worked in) when I was employed at IBM. Invariably, those departmentswere farmed out overseas. First it was Ireland, then India, then I stopped paying attention out of disgust.