Made Cyclone for dust vac

Using a 5 gal bucket/top and 2" PVC pipe I made a simple vortex collector and put in front of a 9 gal Rigid dust vac. This rig connected to, one at a time, table saw, table router, miter. I dumped the current wood contents of the vac on the floor and vac'd again with the cyclone in place. Id guess about 95% of the material remained in the vortex container. The big advantage being that the HEPA filter will stay clear now, maximizing suction.

Reply to
noxpurt

Now you've done it. You used yankee engineering and made a home-made cyclone for $3 that will only perform at 97% of the efficiency of a $500 laboratory designed cyclone. You have probably also reduced the airflow of your vac by another 3%, giving you an efficiency that is only 94% of what you would have had if you spent another $497.

Great job!

Reply to
RayV

Very cool. Any chance you could post a pic of it somewhere (or email to ryan at jimryan dot com)? I'd like to set something like this up. I assume you used the hose that came with the vac to connect to the bucket, then another vac hose to the tool? I have a small Rigid shop vac, will that do you think?

-Jim

Reply to
jtpr

I'll second that request. Or at least let us know which fittings you used.

Reply to
A.M. Wood

Good luck, but that's not my experience. I have a commercial Triton separator. It traps 95% of the debris, but the finest 5% goes through and collects in the filter. The vacuum stays almost empty, but the filter clogs almost as quickly as before. Maybe yours is a better design...

Reply to
Toller

Sorta like this??

mac davis

Ok...ill post some pics. I have a 9 gal Rigid so that pretty small. It takes a day of sawing to fill that so its fine for me. Yes. I used the shop vac hose and some additional clear hose I bought at Rocker.

Reply to
noxpurt

Reply to
noxpurt

some pics with words to describe what I did. click on a pick to enlarge. Thanks again for the help.

Reply to
trs80

Torr

Thank you. Looks like a solution for me...

"Post some pics with words to describe what I did. click on a pick to enlarge. Thanks again for the help. "

Reply to
jtpr

(we have women to tell us where to go)

Mac