Made a Maple Box

I made a maple memory box for my son Porter (8-months). It features curved legs and a birds eye maple top. Hinges are from Rockler.

Let me know what you think. (last project on the page)

Stoutman

Very, very nice. Especially the shaped legs.

Reply to
barry

Very nice Stoutman. Only a couple of suggestions. Mortise and hide those hinges in the joint and "MAYBE" make the top thinner or use a something like raised panel bit to thin the edges. Now you need to make more out of Walnut, Mahogany, Cherry, Bloodwood. Padauk....... The legs are GREAT. These would make great Christmas gifts.... Maybe make the legs out of a complementary wood like Walnut or Cherry.

Great design.

Reply to
Leon

LOL! It's funny you suggested that! I originally made the box with cherry legs, but after glue-up (dried) I noticed that one of the joints didn't come together nicely (this is when I started to re-examine my blade alignment!). I smashed the legs off with a mallet and was able to salvage the rails. I had no more cherry left! I was only left with using maple.

Originally I was going to chamfer the edges of the top to make it appear less heavy, but backed out. I like your raised panel suggestion!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Reply to
Stoutman

Yes

Reply to
Stoutman

Nice, clean lines on the box.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Thanks! This should make you chuckle. I use to have a dog named Guinness! Had to get rid of him when he snapped at my older son (when he was little'er). ;)

Reply to
Stoutman

The next one will be named Cable.

Reply to
CW

If you have a last name that starts with "A", make sure you name the next kid something like "Isabelle Penelope" or "Irving Peter"...

Reply to
B A R R Y

ok, not bad

but why not turn it into a breakfast table?

I have made a book stand for both my garage sofa and my bed, just the right height, width, size and angle, and can clamp book(s) and paper, then usually roll over and go to sleep.

Reply to
bent

Dado skipped right past Chip, Peg, Brad, and Garnet.

Reply to
bent

Amanda Arissa Ash Bay Bud Cam Chastity Cinnamon Cyprus Derreck Dexter Ebony Elmer Emory Elmo Ethan Eve Flora Flower Lacey Manning Matt Misty Molly Ned Nic Parker Phil Pierce Polly Redmond Ringo Rod Rollo Rose Russell Rusty Sasha Scarlet Tabitha Theo Tracie Ugo Walker Zamfir Zen Zig

Reply to
bent

Reply to
M Berger

Twins named Porter and Cable would have been sweet!

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958

btw, all in good fun, only

Reply to