machinist vise

Looking to get one for use with my drill press -- I do need the accuracy of a $200+ one but I would like it to be stable and allow repeatable operations. Rockler sells one for $80 which seems about right but there is not a lot of info on the web page. Anybody got one ? How do you like it ? If anybody has other suggestions I am all ears
Cheers
link to the rockler site http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?offerings_id 173
Those inexpensive units have lots of backlash. How accurate does your repeatability have to be?
John
Backlash is a non issue. Repeatability will come entirely from how well the ways are fitted and how well you can mount the part each time (in other words, the quality of the vise mechanism.

I figure 1/64" would be nice -- am I hoping for too much ? Application is repeated drilling (not milling) I'd like something that once I register 1 corner I can get to any point by X-turns on one axes and Y-turns on the other.
Even the cheap Harbor Freight units will get you that close. I don't know your application but for no more than 1/64 accuracy, I wouldn't bother with the cross slide.

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 16:59:31 -0400, the opaque "Sam the Cat"

Need a milling machine? Buy one. Need an x/y table for consecutive holes? Most anything will do. I bought this HF model before I found out that even the little $40 HF drill had a MT-2 (iirc) chuck taper.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberS8

Please note that most drill presses use a tapered seat and the first hint of a side thrust will unseat them and the chuck will be in your hands, with or without a spinning blade in it.
--
If it weren't for jumping to conclusions, some of us wouldn't get any exercise.
www.diversify.com - Jump-free website programming
clearly wrote:

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 19:13:44 -0400, the opaque "Sam the Cat"

They have no more than 1/4" slop from the factory. You can get it down to about 1/32" through adjustment. <g>
--
If it weren't for jumping to conclusions, some of us wouldn't get any exercise.
www.diversify.com - Jump-free website programming
Sam the Cat wrote:

camper. Heavy duty unit with lots of adjustments. I had looked at the $50 ones at Horrible Fright and there is no comparison.
LFW
LFW, What is the measurement capability -- there is mention of making measurement but its not clear from the web page on how this is done. I was hoping the threads on the axes were something like 16 or 32tpi and I could count by turns

It looks like the slides are 8 TPI. The scales look to have a total travel measurement of 6 inches.
LFW
Sam the Cat wrote:

I looked at the Rockler link and while I can't say for certain from the picture, I'd bet that the vise they stock is identical to one available from harbor Freight for about halt that cost.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland